• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Try this on an uncomfortable seat

Churchlady

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all; I'm back from almost 6 mos. in Dallas taking care of my 95 year- old mom. I flew so I had no XJ problems to bother you with.

I came back w/the solution to the one big disappointment I've had with my car--a back-wrecking driver's seat. (The previous owner weighed in at about 350, which might have been a factor.)

The seat didn't feel uncomfortable at first, but I started noticing something I've never had--backaches, & always after I'd been in the car. After the first long trip I took (6-7 hours behind the wheel) I was almost crippled for several days.

I did a Naxja search and found the Rubicon/Kartek suggestions, called them for prices and quickly decided to exhaust other options first. I talked to a local car upholsterer and he said he'd unsuccessfully tried 4 times to fix a Jeep driver's seat for another customer, which was a bit discouraging. I looked at websites with seat/lumbar supports of all types (all expensive--$150 up), but had no idea just what I needed: a firmer seat, better back support, or both. They also looked incredibly bulky for an XJ.

That was before I left for Dallas. I had a WHOLE LOT of sitting in all kinds of chairs while I was there and got acquainted w/a little miracle called the "Ortho Wedge Tailbone Cushion": a wedge of high-density foam covered in dark blue velour that can be flipped several ways to make almost any seat better. Sooner or later it hit me that this might help my car seat problem.

When I camehome in early Dec. the best price I found on the web was at ShopNBC.com--$15ish plus shipping. I debated ordering two but decided to start w/one. It arrived w/in a week, I tried it various positions for a few days, and finally stood it thin-end-down behind my lower back. It's a total miracle. I drove to Boston last week--6 hr round trip--and not a hint of back pain.

I haven't inserted it under the seat fabric--it stays in place perfectly under my winter sheepskin seat cover, but I probably will next spring.

I know this isn't a universal solution but I hope it helps someone. The price is certainly right.

(Notice there's a straight side and a slanted side; try it both ways. I think I put the slanted side toward the seat back.) Here's the page at ShopNBC:

http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?familyid=V21424&storeid=1&track=-20101

That looks good. I would check EBAY from time to time to see about getting a new seat though too, it would make things better yet

Back