• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone have any feedback on the BFG Crawler tires?

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any feedback on the BFG Crawler tires?

The guy who I got my CJ from wants to trade me 4 37x12.50x17 bfg crawlers on regular 5 on 5.5 black rims for my 5 37x12.50x15 mtrs on 8" 5 on 5.5"beadlock rims. I told him I wasn't interested because I cannot wait to get the mtrs on my XJ with my new axles (hp44/9"). Does anyone know how the Crawlers do on the street and off-road? I know I see alot of them in competition since they were released, but I know the mtr is the tire of choice here in the west. Also I know that if I bust a 37", I have 1 full size spare and I can get a new 1 for around $200, but a Crawler goes for $300-450 or so depending on if it is for a 15 or 17" rim and either a blue or red label. Also is the red label competition professional grade and the blue a public retail tire? What is the diff with the tire compound of each? Please advise. I want to keep my mtrs, just wondering. Here's the guys ad on Pirate.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320557

Troy

local guys all sold theirs... not for daily driving, and i've heard they wear quickly. stick with the MTR's bro!

brandon
PS, MTR's are the best :cheers: , there's a reason he's trading for them

I'm kind of curious too seeing how I just bought a set to put on my rig just as soon as I get it up on its feet. I got the 35 x 13.5 x 15 on 15 x 10 beadlocks. Can't wait to try them out.
Also, I hear they're not good on the street. Only wheeling and riding on the trailer. :dunno:

keep the MTRs. since you want to drive this to the trails, possibly SoCal trails, and you very well may slice a sidewall on either, and no beadlocks on the Krawlers (it's spelled with a K), it seems the very logical choice to stick with the MTRs which probably only perform slightly worse on the rocks.

That's what I though. Thanks guys. I love mtrs and miss my 35" ones I had on my XJ previously. I still haven't wheeled the 35" pro comp XT I have on their now and will not be able to since I'm getting my new axles in and my 37's on. If U look close at the pics from the link I provided, U can see how porous the tire looks. This guy likes to drive home (Reno, NV) the 45 minutes or so from the Con and Fordyce without airing up his tires on the highway. I think the porous look is due to the heat build up without airing back up. My MTR have it as well, but they are in good shape with some minor chunking in a few spots and a brand new spare. I will make sure I air up after the trail, I'm building a CO2 system now as well.

Also U can get a 37" mtr for around $200 if I bust 1 or more, whereas a Krawler goes for $300-400 or so.
Troy

37's are only available for a 17" rim.Krawlers are way too expensive,I had 37" MTR's they work great on and off the road and you get great milage out of the tread.

magoo117 said:
37's are only available for a 17" rim.Krawlers are way too expensive,I had 37" MTR's they work great on and off the road and you get great milage out of the tread.

Good to see U over here. Thanks for your advice on Pirate on the Yukon alloys. Yeah, Crawlers are very expensive and I hear they don't do that well on the street.
Troy

Big Red said:
Good to see U over here. Thanks for your advice on Pirate on the Yukon alloys. Yeah, Crawlers are very expensive and I hear they don't do that well on the street.
Troy
Cool,glad I can help.I've actually been a NAXJA member for a few years now,I just dont get on the board much.

Back