• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damaged tire - went snowboarding??

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
Everything was great on the way there. Parked and went boarding a few hours, came back and as I was driving away felt as if one of the rear tires was locked up. Hit a bump and everything broke loose (sounded like something fell off, maybe ice)...pulled over and part of my NEW BFG 235/75/15 AT tire was screwed up...looked melted?? It was the passenger rear tire.

Anyone know if I could even drive if one side locked up? I was in full-time 4wd and didn't drive far, but is this even possible? What would cause it?

I don't know if it is possible to drive with a rear tire locked, but you could have picked up so much ice it impaired the rear tire's movement and caused the tire to friction burn. The sound could have been the ice breaking free. Just a theory, no evidence to back it up.

96xjeeper said:
I don't know if it is possible to drive with a rear tire locked, but you could have picked up so much ice it impaired the rear tire's movement and caused the tire to friction burn. The sound could have been the ice breaking free. Just a theory, no evidence to back it up.

That's what I was thinking. Sounds far out there though.

Did you park with your emergency brake on ? I have seen and had the brake shoes freeze to the brake drums. Took a propane torch to free em up, only reason I have one was from that morning years ago. It is possible that the 4wd dragged it locked, did you leave a single long skid mark ?

RichP said:
Did you park with your emergency brake on ? I have seen and had the brake shoes freeze to the brake drums. Took a propane torch to free em up, only reason I have one was from that morning years ago. It is possible that the 4wd dragged it locked, did you leave a single long skid mark ?

Hmmm, I dunno (skid mark)...it was at night. I thought I heard something fall off, and then it got better. It was hard to go faster than 25mph though. lol

Back