• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question on my HP44...

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
The RE bracket kit that I used has coil buckets that are flat, and have no "hold-down" clips. On a good flex, the coil would be "floating" between the ACOS and the coil bucket.
Do I need to fab something up to hold the coil down on the buckets like the 30 has? I still have the clips that came off my old 30, so it wouldn't be tough to drill a hole and run a bolt through there.
Opinions...?

BillR said:
The RE bracket kit that I used has coil buckets that are flat, and have no "hold-down" clips. On a good flex, the coil would be "floating" between the ACOS and the coil bucket.
Do I need to fab something up to hold the coil down on the buckets like the 30 has? I still have the clips that came off my old 30, so it wouldn't be tough to drill a hole and run a bolt through there.
Opinions...?

I would assume thats all you would do, sounds like the easiest route. Maybe someone with the actual kit will chime in........... :laugh3:

BillR said:
Opinions...?

Have you called RE to see what they say about it? The times on mine when the bolt fell out and I ran without a retaining clip nothing happened. It may not be an issue at all, as long as you don't droop so much that your coil falls out.

While we don't have the RE bracket kit, neither of our Jeeps have the retainer clips on the coils (both have TJ axles, which only came with one clip stock anyway). We run the RE bumpstop pucks that bolt to the coil pads, so that keeps the coils from falling out. The only problem we've run into NOT having the retainer clips is that the coils can rotate and not seat correctly on the stock coil pads. The only time this has happened though was on some steep bouncy hill climbs in the TJ where the front end (RE long-arm kit) would unload. During slow crawling though, even if the coils completely unload, there's not enough "other stuff" going on to rattle them around.

inch wide piece of flat steel, drill hole in center, bolt to spring buckets, holds great. Need bumpstops? , use a body lift puck and run a bolt through it to the nutsert in the coil bucket...

It would be easy to fab some retainer clips, but I haven't used any on my 44 for over a year now without any problems.

Then again, my coils just barely unseat from the top at full droop.....so I don't have to worry about them falling out.

I'm fabbing up some coil buckets, and I'm not sure if this will work for the RE kit, but I was thinking of using a small u-bolt or maybe a strap from a u-joint. The only problem is getting to the underside of the bracket to affix a nut. Using the old retainers might be easiest since you can drill and tap a hole.

Thanks for the responses. I called RE and they said not to worry about it, and that I'd need some SERIOUS droop before the coil popped out. I have the bolt-on bumpstop from the RE lift, and I'll add a few pucks to that.

Bill, how many mods did U need to make to the RE TJ front bracket kit work on your hp44? I got 1 from Re and Mike over there told me that the kit was designed a chevy 44, I wonder why because chevy 44 are really wide and pass side while ford's are driver side and the more desirable hp variety? I'm keeping mine full width 65-67" so I hope everything works o.k. Ryan (Rawbrown) is doing the install for me.
Troy

Big Red said:
Bill, how many mods did U need to make to the RE TJ front bracket kit work on your hp44? I got 1 from Re and Mike over there told me that the kit was designed a chevy 44, I wonder why because chevy 44 are really wide and pass side while ford's are driver side and the more desirable hp variety? I'm keeping mine full width 65-67" so I hope everything works o.k. Ryan (Rawbrown) is doing the install for me.
Troy
Troy-
If you're keping it full-width, you won't have any problem with the coil bucket position as the pumpkin will be more centered and your buckets can be in the correct (stock) location. HOWEVER you MAY run into a clearance issue between the driveshaft and the exhaust flange. Mine clears the flange by an inch or so, but moving the pumpkin over a little MAY cause a problem. Keep in mind that mine's an '01, so the exhaust location on yours may be different.
I'm sure Ryan will watch for that; you're in good hands! :wave:

BillR said:
Troy-
If you're keping it full-width, you won't have any problem with the coil bucket position as the pumpkin will be more centered and your buckets can be in the correct (stock) location. HOWEVER you MAY run into a clearance issue between the driveshaft and the exhaust flange. Mine clears the flange by an inch or so, but moving the pumpkin over a little MAY cause a problem. Keep in mind that mine's an '01, so the exhaust location on yours may be different.
I'm sure Ryan will watch for that; you're in good hands! :wave:

Thanks Bill. Your Xj looks so awesome not only with the axles U have in it, but how clean the body is. Man is it going to hurt when U put some dents in the body. It will get easier to deal with once U have a considerable # of them. I know Ryan is awesome, he has worked very hard getting me the best prices he can do and quoting me great prices on the install of everything. It is a bit of a drive for me down to San Diego from Sacramento almost 500 miles each way, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
I also have a buyer for my 31 spline detroit 3rd member so I'm moving up to 35 spline 9" alloy shafts, detroit and 5.43 gears and 4340 Yukon alloys in my hp44 with a lock rite and 5.38 gears on 37"mtrs with 8" beadlock rims.
Troy

Big Red said:
I'm moving up to 35 spline 9" alloy shafts, detroit and 5.43 gears and 4340 Yukon alloys in my hp44 with a lock rite and 5.38 gears on 37"mtrs with 8" beadlock rims.
Wow, that's gonna be a monster! MUCH beefier than mine! :gag:
Have fun.

BillR said:
Wow, that's gonna be a monster! MUCH beefier than mine! :gag:
Have fun.

I'm going a little overkill, but don't want to break down either on the trail. I almost kept my rear xj 44, but decided to go with the 9" for the ability to build it like I'm planning on and for the width etc. I love the strength of the r&p of the 9", the removable 3rd member etc etc. It is nice and light and U can build it to handle just about anything (spline counts from 28-40).

The xj 44 is good especially now since U can get the Super 44 kit with 33 spline alloy shafts and a detroit or arb.

Back