• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanting To MOD My Rockers

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I want to MOD my rockers and weld in 3/16 tubes. Need to protect and get rid of some rust. Just where do I make my cuts to get rid of the old rocker? How close do I cut to the pich seam? How far up to the door area do I cut? Pics would be nice.

this more depends on what you have avaliable to cut with and what size box tube your gonna use.

Do you mean tubes as in round? Or box section type stuff?

I used 3/16th box section 2"x6".

I made mine to long though, for some reason we wanted it to line up with the edge of the fender flares so there isn't much room for a larger tire. Someday I might have to take the ends off them and then that might be the end of them being air tanks, they were a bitch to weld up air tight so I can't imagine it happening after cutting off a couple inches and trying to weld on caps while laying down under them.

As for putting them in we cut out past the pinch seam, right up to where the floor started, we also moved the mounts for the seatbelt from inside the rockers to inside the XJ and welded them to the 2x6 once it was in. That way everything was flat and it was easy to put the rockers in.

I have some pics but they are on undeveloped film somewhere.

I used 2x4 box steel and I cut right in front of the pinch seam across the whole length and then right under the door. I then bend the remaining pinch seam over so it was laying flat on the bottom of the rocker. Those two surfaces are nice and easy to weld on. I went with a 2x4 for looks, eventually I'm going to bend some tube and create an outer rail for lateral protection. I just don't care for the looks of the wider box tubing.

Here's some pics of my brother's which we did the same way.
http://forum.4x4trailhunters.com/index.php?showtopic=2789

I did the same thing to mine....I thought about bending the pinch seam over and flat, but I decided to weld some angle to my 2x4 tubing and keep the pinch seam verticle. I'm not 100% sure I'm happy with that.....cause now that angle and the pinch seam are catching some of the abuse.

I may end up having to fold it over. We'll see after I abuse it some more this upcoming season. :D

Writeup:
http://www.projectxj.com/mods/rocker.replacement.htm

Back