• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering problem

goin4wheelin

NAXJA Forum User
there's a lot of pressure n my power steering pump/reservor. i put in a new pump/reservor and the problem is still there. it shoot the fluid thru the cap hole. the fluid are muddy color, bubbling on it too. is my gear box, steering box gone bad. it on a stock xj, 4.0L w/ 220k miles, AT.

You either have a plugged line or your gear is going. Not much else to be a problem. Did you have the same thing with the old pump or another issue that caused you to replace it?

well, my father inlaw told me the fluid shoot out from the cap of the power steering and it got a whinning noise on it too. talk to couple of people and they told me it's the steering pump.
after installed the new pump, first, there's no turning at all, hard to turn to left or right but i manage to force it to turn and it start to whinning a bit, low on fluid and after i add some, close the cap, the fluid start to shoot out from the cap.

how do i check for plugged line?

You should flush out the fluid. Over time the fluid degrades and can't handle the heat as much. If you are going to change the box you might as well do the hoses at the same time.

Back