• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noises in front axle

DaltonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just drove my XJ for the first time after buying it it's a '88. when I drove it there is alot of clunking & squeeling noise comeing from the front end axle area. anyone got any idea what that might be.. also need to know if it will hurt anything to run 3.77 gears up front I have 3.55 gears in the back. the reason why I ask if there is something wrong with the fron axle I have another front axle with 3.77 gears in it.

The noise could be a couple of things...
1) the u-joints.. (does the noise only (majority of the time) happen when u turn?)
2) The wheel bearing/hub assembly.
3) did you check and see if there is anything in the diff???

Just a couple of different ideas..

As for the gearing.. other than the wheels (front/back) rotating at different speeds!!! no problems!

I'd get under it and try to tighten the bolts. If you leave the front driveshaft out then it would be ok to have different gears front/back but otherwise don't do it. Turn the wheel back/forth to see if it clunks (track bar/steering).

are the wheel bearing rebuildable or can they be purchased... need info I think that is the problem.... I might be able to get the other front and rear ends with 3.73's but the front is vacuum locked type... the one I have now does not have vacuum lock type on it.. will that matter??

the wheel bearings are not re-buildable... That I know of.. so off to ur local parts guy... I just got some up here in the great white north... $180 CAD a side.. YIKES.

If you do the bearing assembly, you're gonna need... a 36mm socket (axle nut) with either an air gun or a BIG breaker bar. and a 13mm 12 point socket for the hub bolts. Take your time with these, and dont be afraid to use HEAT to get them out..

As for the gearing, just swap the gearing in the axles you have, if you dont want the v-disco...

No they really aren't rebuildable. They are replaceable as a unit. Just make sure you have the right ones. 84-89 are interchangeable with each other. 90-99 are interchangeable with each other. 00-01 are interchangeable with each other.

v-disco???? whats that?

not familer with that term.

I have a front d30 with 3.77's but it has a vacuum diconect on it will it work..

so from what I understand the '91 hubs will fit the '88 axle or not??? need to know if so I might do that and replace the gears front and rear as well....

DaltonXJ said:
v-disco???? whats that?

not familer with that term.

I have a front d30 with 3.77's but it has a vacuum diconect on it will it work..

You could convert it to a non-disco. There should be someone on here who has done it.

DaltonXJ said:
so from what I understand the '91 hubs will fit the '88 axle or not??? need to know if so I might do that and replace the gears front and rear as well....

No. 88 axle you need 84-89 unit bearings.

From how I read MJR's post.. NO the bearing will not work... doesn't mean you can't try since you should change the gearing over... to keep your orig D30 axle.

EDIT: just checked autozone.com... they are different part #'s from 88 - 91

as for the v-disco working.. not sure, maybe post what TC you have and one of the XJ Guru's will know... you would definatly have to run some vacuum lines (of course) ;)

Last edited:
The reason they are not interchangeable is the offset changed for the brake rotor mounting in those years. Others might be used if you also used the same year rotors.

so '84-89 hubs would work then right? or what other axle would I be able to upgrade to... I do work at a junkyard I am able to get other axles for this XJ but what would I look for in axles for it???

DaltonXJ said:
so '84-89 hubs would work then right? or what other axle would I be able to upgrade to... I do work at a junkyard I am able to get other axles for this XJ but what would I look for in axles for it???

Should be easy to find another 87-89 front axle with 3.55's to match you rear. If you are going to change out the whole thing including brakes then 87-99 would work.

My bad the front axle in the '91 is from an '84 XJ I forgot I converted the '91 from 2wd to 4wd... somebody slap me silly please.... so the hubs and stuff will work on the '88 right????

DaltonXJ said:
My bad the front axle in the '91 is from an '84 XJ I forgot I converted the '91 from 2wd to 4wd... somebody slap me silly please.... so the hubs and stuff will work on the '88 right????

Yes for 84-89 axles you can swap the unit bearings/hubs.

ok I'm just gonna swap front and rear from the other XJ and go with the 3.73's and XXXX with the v-disco for now till I can find antother or better axles..
might save up and go for 1-Ton not sure right now...

But disided to do the BB lift with the F-150 coils and the S10 leafs while I got the axles off....

Back