• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attn MJ Owners, a quick measurement

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, picked up my long bed MJ yesterday and needed to get a measurement from you short bed guys. If you would, could you measure from the cab back to where the frame starts to bend. After I sell my xj, I am going to start shortening this bad boy up. Let me know what you guys have. Appreciate it, david

just for reference I went out and measured from the back cab mount to the rear spring mount bolt and got 20 inches. So, if you would measure from the back of the cab to where the bolt goes into the rear spring mount, I would appreciate it. David

ttt...anybody? Another question, are mj springs the same as xj springs? And for anyone else, with 35-37" tires, will I need to move the front axle forward, or will it rub the cab?

Last edited:
mj leaf springs are longer than cherokee springs. i think its somewhere in the 5-10 inches longer. in my opinion you wouldnt need to move the axle i dont think the tires would hit the cab. 1st question 12 inches straight across but if i measure from the cab mount to the middle of the bolt on an angle it is around 13.3"

Last edited:
I also got 13 1/2" from the cab to center of the spring bolt.

I have 33X12.50s on about 6 inches of lift.

I have an AAL and a SOA in the rear. Looks like enough room for 35s.

The front I have a 4.5" coils and 1 3/4' BB. I think I have about 2 inches of clearance to the LCA mounting bracket at full turn on flat ground. That might be a little tight for larger tires. IMHO :)

In the front of the tire is plenty of room if you cut a bit.

Good luck!

AJ-MJ said:
I also got 13 1/2" from the cab to center of the spring bolt.

I have 33X12.50s on about 6 inches of lift.

I have an AAL and a SOA in the rear. Looks like enough room for 35s.

The front I have a 4.5" coils and 1 3/4' BB. I think I have about 2 inches of clearance to the LCA mounting bracket at full turn on flat ground. That might be a little tight for larger tires. IMHO :)

In the front of the tire is plenty of room if you cut a bit.

Good luck!

Thanks for the measurement! That is what I needed to know. I think with the right backspacing, I would avoid the LCA. I went to see brettM yesterday to pick his brain. He was nice, friendly, and very helpful. I think I am going to go with the leafs up front (toy rears). Now I just have to Figure out how to shorten up the rear...

I will tell you waht i am running and you can make up your own mind. I am running RE drop brackest with stockl upper and lowers. I am also using Rusty's 6.5 coils. The front steering is done by the way of Rusty's tie rod conversion, with the RE HD trac bar, mount and brace. For the rear I have a SOA conversion with a shackle that measures 83/4 inches eye to eye. I Clear 33's with no problem at all, even at full stuff. I could probrably clear 35's with bump stops.

Patrick

Back