• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle

elephantrider1

NAXJA Forum User
How Do I Know What My Front Axle Is. Im Pretty Sure It Is A Dana 30 27 Spline . But That Is Just Because It Seems That What Most Are. It Is A 96 Xj 4cyl Manual 8.25 Rear. I Need To Find Out Front So I Can Order A Locker Any Tips Please.

That's What It Is. High Pinion Dana 30, 27-Spline.
Hope This Helps. :wave:

You Will Need To Order Gears For A High Pinion Dana 30. These Are Reverse Rotation.
The Carrier Won't Matter.

BillR said:
The Carrier Won't Matter.

Most of us know what you mean, but just to clarify for elephant dude - there are two different carriers:
1) 3:73 and numerically higher gears (ie - 4:10, 4:56, 4:88)
2) 3:55 and numerically lower gears (ie - 3:07)

Eric

It's a shame you have the 8.25 rear...4.56 is as low as you can go.. 4.88's would be better. with the 2.5 and the overdrive tranny, that little motor would love it..

Capt. Nemo said:
Most of us know what you mean, but just to clarify for elephant dude - there are two different carriers:
1) 3:73 and numerically higher gears (ie - 4:10, 4:56, 4:88)
2) 3:55 and numerically lower gears (ie - 3:07)

Eric
I see where I could've stated it better. :gag: The carrier won't matter with high or low pinion, but it WILL need to be in the correct range for the gear ratio.
Thanks for fixing it for me. :wave:

elephantrider1 said:
So When I Order Lower Gears I Have To Get Reverse Cut For The Front Or Not.

BillR said:
You Will Need To Order Gears For A High Pinion Dana 30. These Are Reverse Rotation.

Just being a little picky here, but to be accurate the gears are reverse cut, not reverse rotation. They still turn the same way. A high pinion axle spins the same direction that a low pinion axle does. The reverse cut lets a high pinion front axle push on the strong side of the greas where a low pinion axle in the front pushes on the weak side.

Goatman said:
Just being a little picky here, but to be accurate the gears are reverse cut, not reverse rotation. They still turn the same way. A high pinion axle spins the same direction that a low pinion axle does. The reverse cut lets a high pinion front axle push on the strong side of the greas where a low pinion axle in the front pushes on the weak side.
Correct, as usual. I use the two terms interchangeably, and it's not correct.
Thanks.

Back