• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head porting?

mcconnaughey

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to get my H.O. head ported and cleaned up for my stroker that I'm building. Anyone know of a good company that possible has spent time with our heads?

TIA, Alan

Woodys dead on Accurate sells em. If you can swing it get one of thier big valve heads to realy wake up the stroker. Or get your self a die grinder and have some fun.

There are plusses and minuses of porting a stroker. Porting will make it breath better and give you more high end power but you will sacrifice the low end torque. Just thought I would mention it before you spend $$$ for something you really didn't want. Many people, including me, use the non-HO head just for that reason. Better low to mid range torque.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

I agree with you old_man. I'm not looking for all power at the top end, just want to broaden things up a bit.
Thanks for the replys.
P.S. anyone have a link to Clifford's stroker kits?
Alan

I've run Clifford headers for over 30 years. I got them for my 2.5L and now my 4.0L. Old man Clifford was a class act. Check them out at www.cliffordperformance.com or at least that is what I remember. If it doesn't hit, search for clifford and headers

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

Clifford makes some good stuff.....I just built a 2.5 using mostly their stuff....on the porting subject...there are all sorts of approaches...and not all of them hurt torque...but you can ruin a good head if you don't know what you are doing...the parts of the port that benefit most are the hardest to get to...and leave the floor of the port alone except may to smooth out casting flaws...I was amazed how good the stock 2.5 head was...

Whay I would do if I build up a motor (vs having one built for me) would be to mock up the manifolds on the dissasembled head, then do a really conservative 'gasket match' job... mainly just opening up the ports to remove any giant 'steps' and smoothing down any obvious casting flash. Once the head smoothing is done, then off to a good shop for a 3-angle valve-job. There may be some benefit to having the intake 'extrude-honed' too...and of course, increasing flow on both sides of the head is important to see the most gains.

All my junk has pre-HO 4.0s, so I dunno if it'd be worthwhile to spend a LOT of $$$ or time on. Not saying anything bad about the 4.6/7 liter I6 strokers (I love I6 motors) but one can buy an assembled 330 HP 5.7l Vortec V8 from GM - with warranty- for pretty short money these days

Have the head Extrudehoned. You'll get the biggest increase in flow with the minimum amount of material removal, which will keep low speed velocity high, and this will retain (or improve, being a stroker) your low rpm torque. You'll have the added fun of a better breathing head at higher rpms too. Keep your valves stock size; just get a good 3 angle job done.

I have my heads behind me on my bed, cleaned and ready for some worken, what is and how do I 3 angle the valves. A machine shop is doing all the work (machining and all) and I got my heads back clean so that I can polish the surface of the combustion chamber. I like the F&B 68mm tb so much that my intake is at an other shop getting cleaned and machined out to 69mm (to allow for missalignment). I wanted to do a turbo to this as well, but Bear is nuts, thinken I will pay that much. I asked you guys which turbo to get and I found a group junkyard turbo. I met a fellow that is going to help my build a turbo system that will sit where the stock air box used to be for around $400. He has a T04E V/2 compressor completly rebuilt for $350, and will help me find the cheap way to put rest together! He knows what motor I am building and how to set it all up! Sweet deal!

M. Lake said:
I have my heads behind me on my bed, cleaned and ready for some worken, what is and how do I 3 angle the valves. A machine shop is doing all the work (machining and all)

A 3 angle valve job is just that, 3 different angles ground on the valve for better flow past it. How you do it, since you're having a shop do the work, is tell them "I want a 3 angle valve job"

Good luck, sounds like a fun project!

Dale

Back