• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

put new injectors in, now it's running rough

jephs422

NAXJA Forum User
I took everyones advice and went ahead and put in the 19lb Ford injectors last night. The injector holes int he manifold were pretty clogged with buildup, so I did what I could to clean it out. A little bit fell in, but I figure that should just burn off. I started it up and drove it for a bit, and now it idles really rough and almost seems like it's missing at idle. Also, there's a noticable amount of fuel being dump out the exhaust. Any one have this happen?

Did you buy new or used injectors?
Possible your ECU needs more time to readjust the mixture...
What year XJ?

Mine did that for about a half hour or so, then i took it out for a cruise after i was sure the new Bosch injectors werent leaking, and it settled down and runs smooth. I even disconnected the battery again, after running it for a bit in the garage before the cruise, to make sure the computer reset itself, cause it was rough idling.

You may have other issues if the rough idle was present before the injector change. My motor has about 12k miles on a rebuild and had old used injectors in it. I had recently replced the IAC and TPS before the new injectors.

Cory

did you disco the bat and turn the key to get rid of any juice in the system then hook it up and drive. or did you just put the injectors in and drive?

Before I did the swap, the motor was running great. I know, if it anint droke don't fix it!! It's an 88 xj with a 4.0. I did disconnect my battery, because the ignition module went south, so I had to replace that, so I figured while I was under the hood, might as well make a day out of it. I bought the injectors and they are brand new. I gues I'll try to drive it for a while and see if it smooths out. I just see all these testimonials about how those injectors made such a big difference and how great peoples XJ's are running since they did the swap. I hope mine pans out.

i just did the same swap this past weekend. they went in very smoothly and mine is idleing fine. power band is much smoother too. i ran it for awhile to make sure no leaks and then disconnected the battery and did the ignition thing.point above is takin to make sure the throttlebody is clean. that can cause roughness.i did have one brief wierdness though, at one point it wouldn't start after running on the freeway a bit. it behaved like no fuel. i had a similar problem on the way to moab and and along with the fuel pump i also had to clean my ballast resistor connections (no enough voltage to the pump). hope yours smoothes out. how is your filter?

Well I think I fixed the problem. The vaccuum line to the MAP Sensor was broken. I replaced it and it ran a lot better. Unfortunately, I am plagued by the small brown o-ring on the fuel pressure regulater that I forgot to replace. So after I fix that leak, hopefully it will run better

Back