• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Light switch question...(ooh exciting)

EljayK004

NAXJA Forum User
OK here's the deal I've got a set of cheap aftermarket driving lights under my bumper adn don't like the switch so I thought since my 2000 Sport didin't come with fog lights I could go to the dealer and get a stock fog light switch and presto it'd look stock. The problem being the dealer switch has 4 pins on the back and I need a 3 pin connector. The question I have is does anyone know what each of the pins are? For example:
pin1 - power
pin2 - ground
(I have no idea if this indeed correct or not)

Thanx in advance,
Johnny K IV

See if this helps----
pin 3 - power in color- vt violet
pin 2 - power out color- lb light blue
diagram shows a switch on light and switch illumination but these may be internal ,also a ground.
Wayne

On the fog lamp switch, FSM 98 version.

Orange = Fog lamp switch illumination
Light blue = Fog lamp feed from switch
Violet = Signal from switch to relay
Black = Ground

Thanx for the help but here's a couple more questions. What wire goes to each pin? Next, just to make sure I've got this down exactly:
The switch illum.(orange) would be a wire run to the parking light hot wire on the headlight switch
Fog Lamp feed(lt. blue) would go from the switch directly to the relay
Signal from relay(violet) would be from a relay which would have a wire from the battery coming in and a wire to the foglights going out
Ground(black) would be grounded to something behind the dash.

I've never done this personally but I work with a few people who have a pretty good idea of this stuff if I need help but I'd like to tackle this project this Monday.

Thanx for all the help,
Johnny K IV

Have you pulled the switch panel to see if the pigtail is back there yet?
The only two XJ's (without OEM fogs) that I pulled the panel on HAD the harness for the foglights pre-installed. I plugged in a OEM fog switch and it does indeed illuminate with the headlight switch.
If yours has this pigtail it would be a piece of cake to splice into and run wires to your aftermarket lights. You would just need 'signal to relay' as the switch already has ground.

Back