• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio Antennas

Garthbmn7

NAXJA Member #524
98 XJ I replaced the factory radio antenna with a power antenna. Eventually the motor shorted out. So I bought a rubber mast one with a built in amplifier. Ran it thru the firewall and used the new antenna's cable and left factory one up out of the way. Tied the power connection to the Radios Power connection since its always on for clock. Antenna said it needed a continuus source of 2 amps or better. Now I am not getting any AM reception at all and the FM is not that strong. Ideas?
Thanks
Garth

First thing i'd do is disconnect the power to the antenna amp.
It should behave as a normal unpowered antenna. If you still
have "nothing" then go over the cabling connections carefully.

In my experience antenna amps dont work very well anyway. If you are in a
weak signal area, buy a better head unit and run a regular unpowered
antenna.

BTW but you dont wan't a 2 amp
device on a 'always on' circuit, it will drain your battery.

Garthbmn7 said:
98 XJ I replaced the factory radio antenna with a power antenna. Eventually the motor shorted out.
I've been considering changing my stock fixed antenna in my 97 with a power antenna also. What antenna did you install in yours since they were not an option on 97+ XJ's?
I've been considering a pre97 XJ power antenna or trying to fit a ZJ antenna. I've heard that most aftermarket antennas don't live very long.

yeah I got a 94 with a power antenna, you know the up/down ones... It dont work either ! is it worth replacing with a new elec one or just stick in a manual one...

Thanks guys. I used a power antennae from Autozone. I think it was like $40. It didn't get the reception that the factory one got either but at least I could hear it. I had replaced the factory one after getting it bent in the car wash. I just wanted one that wouldn't bend and get reception equal to before or ideally equal to the one in my 94 olds factory radio and antenna.
Garth

Back