• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about 84 hp30 axle...

meinert

NAXJA Forum User
well guys, im gettin a very good deal on an 84 model cherokee with the 2.5L and 5spd...what im wanting to know is, do ALL 84 cherokee's hp30's have CV joint axles, or are some normal U-joint....

im also wandering if all of them came with the disco axles.....

can someone please tell me what kind of front axle this cherokee has in it?

thanks..and if you need any more information, just ask...

i would just look myself, but at the moment, im down at college and the jeep is back at the house..this has got me worrying now...

one more quick question....

the 2.5 was the origanal motor in the jeep, but the person before me put a 2.8 into it (atleast what size he told me...)

im not sure what the 2.8 came out of (jeep i assume..haha..never know though)....but my question is about the tranny.....btw..it is a 5 spd.

what transmission do yall think this thing has got in it? would the factory tranny for the 2.5 bolt to the 2.8????

if it is a T5....it would bolt to both motors correct?
but then what if it was the BA10/5.....???

comeone experts..haha

An 84 would have had the 2.5 or 2.8 GM v6. If it has the front axle w/ cv's, it probably had the 2.8 w/ an auto and select trac case originally. They used the cv's because of the full time mode on the t-case. Some where along the lines parts have been swapped one way or the other. The axle will not have a disconnect if it has cv's. The 5 speed should be an AX5. Bolt patterns are not interchangeable between the 2.5 and 2.8.

meinert said:
one more quick question....

the 2.5 was the origanal motor in the jeep, but the person before me put a 2.8 into it (atleast what size he told me...)

im not sure what the 2.8 came out of (jeep i assume..haha..never know though)....but my question is about the tranny.....btw..it is a 5 spd.

what transmission do yall think this thing has got in it? would the factory tranny for the 2.5 bolt to the 2.8????

if it is a T5....it would bolt to both motors correct?
but then what if it was the BA10/5.....???

comeone experts..haha
The tranny should be an AX-5, but they had supply problems in the first couple of years and some XJs got the T5. It will not be a BA10/5 -- that was used behind the early 4.0L engines starting in 1987 and ending mid-89. The 2.5L block uses the same small GM bellhousing bolt pattern, so the same trannies interchange between the 2.5L Jeep engine and the 2.8L GM V6 -- as well as the GM 3.1L and 3.4L.

An early XJ with 5-speed should have a disconnect axle. They did sell some without disconnect, but that was with Selec-Trac and Selec-Trac was only available with the automatic.

As to u-joints or CV joints, you'll just have to look and see what's under there.

Eagle said:
The tranny should be an AX-5, but they had supply problems in the first couple of years and some XJs got the T5. It will not be a BA10/5 -- that was used behind the early 4.0L engines starting in 1987 and ending mid-89. The 2.5L block uses the same small GM bellhousing bolt pattern, so the same trannies interchange between the 2.5L Jeep engine and the 2.8L GM V6 -- as well as the GM 3.1L and 3.4L.

An early XJ with 5-speed should have a disconnect axle. They did sell some without disconnect, but that was with Selec-Trac and Selec-Trac was only available with the automatic.

As to u-joints or CV joints, you'll just have to look and see what's under there.

I was wrong on the 2.5 bolt pattern, it does match small GM pattern. Not much GM experience here. As far as the cv shafts, I have only seen them on select trac, and select trac always had them in the early years.

well this is an 84' with 5spd....had a 5spd. from the factory (probably still the same one...)

i know it had the 4cyl. from the factory, but now it is a V6 (told to be a 2.8).....

so say all these are true, what is the probabilty of the cv's in the front?..i sure hope not....haha (i have looked around b4, but dont recal seeing them, if i did i believe i wouldve noticed)

what are the advantages/disadvantages of the disco axle? im sure that there aint many advantages, but just want to see what all the talk about this axle is..haha

one more question....this has the D35c in the back right? or did they put the 8.25 in some 84's?

Probability of CVs in front is low. But it's a Jeep, so it's never zero.

An 84 XJ was an AMC Jeep. They didn't start using the 8.25 axle until a few years after Chrysler bought out AMC.

I've got an '84 with a 2.8 V6 and a chrysler 3 speed. I replaced the cv joints in the front axle with regular u joints with no problems. If you do that make sure you get axle shafts from an axle with vacuum disconnect. Also I would recommend replacing the vacuum with a manual cable activation. The vacuum is likely to fail for a variety of reasons, and a manual cable would give you the option of 2 wheel low.

Back