• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird electrical problems.

CT-heep

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I'll try to explain this as best as possible.
I have a 93 XJ. Once in awhile when driving with the lights off I will hit the brakes and the interior and parking lights come on. I can hear a click under the dash as well. My left blinker will also flick fast and inconsistent. With the lights on it seems to be fine.
Now the other day I replaced my NSS to get my backup lights to work and now when I turn my headlights on the rear blinkers come on but don't flash. Also when the headlights are off and I use my left blinker all the dash lights blink with it and the outside blinkers are all screwey.
I know a bunch about jeeps but electrical stuff is driving me nuts. I don't want to pay someone to fix this but I can't drive at night for fear of getting pulled over. So....I'm hopeing someone here has had this same strange issue.

Thanks for looking!
Chris

Aftermarket trailer wiring? This seems to fit your problems with backfeeding.

Last edited:
There is a ground point that causes similar problems that I have seen. The ground is on the drivers side rear quarter panel behind the facia panel where the spare tire mounts.

No aftermarket hitch. But after I posted I did find a thread that mentioned that ground in the rear panel. I will check that out tomorrow!

Thanks

Radio then? I always check aftermarket stuff first. If you have a factory hitch it could feed back also. Check the main connection for the front clip also (by the air box).

my 98 did a similar thing only some times. my interior lights on the dash would blink with the blinker. and sometimes the right and left rear blinkers would flash when the left turn signal was on. i replaced a front marker light bulb and found that the connection was bad. that fixed part of it. but after i rolled my jeep the dome lights stay on. cant figure that one out. any idears??

Well, I disconnected the wiring for the hitch and it seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks everyone.

bigredjeep said:
. and sometimes the right and left rear blinkers would flash when the left turn signal was on. any idears??

That same thing happened on my 99 a couple weeks ago when I bought it. The turn signal switch was bad and needed to be replaced. It would cause my hazards to come on only in the rear and only with the left turn signal, 90% of the time. Try replacing the switch and see if your problem goes away.

My guess is when you rolled it you shorted out a door wire somewhere. The xj uses a switched ground to actvate the dome light. There is juce to the lights all the time and when you open a door it grounds the circut. Unplug each door pin one at a time and if it goes out then that one is bad. It could be the hatch switch too but I think it's behind the cover. The GR/BK wire at the cargo lamp is the wire to the hatch switch. You might try unhooking it insted of pulling the cover off the hatch. Also the liftgate ajar light on the dash uses the same switch, so the hatch switch went bad I would think that light would be on too.

Back