• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

four wheel drive "unplugged"?

dbkirkpatrick

NAXJA Forum User
When talking to a girl from school/church who also has an xj, she told me that her dad "unplugged" her four wheel drive so she wouldn't off-road it. I haven't looked at it yet, but I don't think there is much electrical on a 88's transfer case. he might of removed the front driveshaft, but I think that is unlikely. Any tips on where to look first? also this could just be a story by daddy trying to keep his little girl his as long as he can. If there is a wiring harnes that goes to the transfer case I would like to Know where it is at and what it requires to plug it back in
homely high-schooler

I hope he plugged the open lines and connections in the actuator too. There will probably be a bunch of junk in there now if he didnt, vacuum leak too.....hmmm. Dont try and figure it out in a mudhole.....he he.

Cory

If I wanted to kill 4WD, I'd disconnect the tcase shift linkage and tie the loose bit up out of the way, or remove it entirely (depending on who I was disconnecting.)

Disconnecting the vacuum lines will be of only limited utility, and the aforementioned issues with vacuum leaks and crapping up the ports come to mind. Besides, pulling the shifter is a little more subtle and less obvious to those who are not so mechanically inclined.

BTW - Rebellion can be a good thing - it's one of the qualities I value in my wife. I like someone who thinks like I do - it saves loads of explanation...

5-90

dbkirkpatrick said:
When talking to a girl from school/church who also has an xj, she told me that her dad "unplugged" her four wheel drive so she wouldn't off-road it. I haven't looked at it yet, but I don't think there is much electrical on a 88's transfer case. he might of removed the front driveshaft, but I think that is unlikely. Any tips on where to look first? also this could just be a story by daddy trying to keep his little girl his as long as he can. If there is a wiring harnes that goes to the transfer case I would like to Know where it is at and what it requires to plug it back in
homely high-schooler

Check for a front driveshaft, pull the lever to see if it's connected, if it's a 231 Command-Trac check the vacuum lines at the t-case and front axle, etc...

My brother has a 89 laredo that the transfer case was unplugged on, wound up hooking up 3 or so vacuum lines that go from the transfer case to the passenger side axle and fixed it

ministers daughters are the worst girl out there.. they are so caged, that they will do anything with you as soon as they get loose.

see if that thing runs as is. maybe it's just daddy talkin

Back