• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Added factory fog light relay to a 1990 pioneer

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
Still a newbie to all of this, but am becoming a fast learner.
Was doing some work on my XJ since it was really warm out yesterday [unlike today!] so changed my driverside mirror, decided to do the NSS and some other small things I needed to get done.
I recently pulled the entire fog light wiring and relay off of an 89 limited, and added that as well, [although I've not as of yet hooked them up to the lights yet] I intend on leaving the wiring seperate than ripping my front off again [just put the new '93 header in a couple weeks ago] so I have to ground it still. Does it matter where I ground it to? or can I just ground it like the fogs are done now?

I also have two extra relays I pulled as well . I want to use at least one, if not both for when I put in roof lights. I have an extra switch already, and am going to pull a dash assembly out for it, and am thinking of cutting out and placing below the factory clock since there's nothing beneath there. From there I plan to wire out through where my existing light wires are going through the firewall, into the relay I've pulled. [Correct me if I'm wrong, but from doing the actual fog relay, the red wire is the same as the battery red wire, and the green/black stripe wire is the ground?] If this is so, then could I simply wire the relay near the fog lights one, and splice the red to red, the green/black going to the switch as the actual fog light does? or will this cause problems, or am I missing something? As well, typically with fogs, there's only 2 lights on the relay. Can they handle 4 lights at all? Or do I need to use both relays, for 2 lights each?

Appreciate all ideas and suggestions how to go about doing this.
TIA

I would only run 2 lights on a relay as long as they are not more than 55W each. I would wire each one to the battery unless you put in a bigger wire. Make sure you add fuses. I think you should use some bigger wires since there is a fair amount of voltage drop with stock wires. You could ground them to the body or run them to the battery which is better.

Upgrading the wires would be easily done, since they're cut out anyways. If I put in it's own fuse, running it direct of the battery, what wire would I put it on?, and would I put it before the relay? or after the relay?

tia

You need to figure out how much the lights draw and double it for the fuse. Probably 15-20A per pair of lights. Just make sure the wiring can handle it.

cykaaro said:
easy enough to do. Next question is, what size fuse should I use? Same one the fogs use? or headlights use?

That what I would use. Around 15, or 20, amp for a pair. I think I have 15A in my home made head light harness, but I only have Silverstars in there for now [65W bulbs I think]. Try this link http://http://www.bcae1.com/ then go to the wire section. There is a wire size max fuse size chart. There also is a calculator to determine a wire size for its length. Just enter in your values, and it will say if the wire is heavy enough. I used 100% for the efficiency, and the wattage of the light for the amp wattage.

Thanks! I'm not sure what lighting I'll be doing or how exactly I will wire it as of yet, but working on how to do it and planning it all out so it's ready to go when I do.
Actually, had a thought. I wonder if I pulled the fuse block from under the hood of a '93, if it would work to use it as a fuse panel for the light relays. Basically running from the battery, through the fuse block, to the relays and then out to the lights.

Back