• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have RE 3.5" installed: now want 5.5"

ROKTAXI

NAXJA Forum User
Want another 2" on my '94. I bought it with a RE 3.5 and want to add 2". What is the opinion of using 2" donuts. I'm planning on new springs for the back. I already have a SYE. Do you see any issues with the spacers? Also considering a 62mm TB and spacer. Are these mouse milk or are they worth the investment? Appreciate any comments!
Marty

I think all my perfomance mods were a waste of money except gearing.
As for as the spacers they're fine i have the same set up on my 94 with the only problem being the front drive shaft angle could use some adjustment.

bigwhitey said:
the front drive shaft angle could use some adjustment.

Thanks for the reply. So you think I might have a driveshaft length problem?

I too am looking to move up in the world, my goal is to fit 33's under tj flares or BW with a 3/4" spacer and 3.5" coils up front and 3" springs and 1.5" shackle out back.

What I have found is

-SYE is a real strong possiblity (you've already got that covered)
-trac-bar will need some tweeking either adjustable or offset hole
-you may need adjustable UCA to correct caster and pinion angle

as for shocks and bumpstops you've got alot of choices

I intend on going with the 2" bump stop spacers that came in my RE kit that I never installed and BPE for the shocks

and in the rear I plan on raising the lower shock mount and exteneding the bump stop about 1.5"-2"

if you use 2" spacers in front, you will never be able to add a bumper or winch without sagging again unless you add taller or stiffer coils (ZJ springs)

i would not suggest moving the trac bar bolt hole over further, that mount on the axle is very thin and the hole will eventually elongate itself after some mileage.

BLSXJ said:
I too am looking to move up in the world, my goal is to fit 33's under tj flares or BW with a 3/4" spacer and 3.5" coils up front and 3" springs and 1.5" shackle out back.

What I have found is

-SYE is a real strong possiblity (you've already got that covered)
-trac-bar will need some tweeking either adjustable or offset hole
-you may need adjustable UCA to correct caster and pinion angle

as for shocks and bumpstops you've got alot of choices

I intend on going with the 2" bump stop spacers that came in my RE kit that I never installed and BPE for the shocks

and in the rear I plan on raising the lower shock mount and exteneding the bump stop about 1.5"-2"
when i made the jump to 5.5" with new LCA's for a 4.5" lift and stock UCA's i vibrated my front DS to death... another 275 for a new shaft and 220 for RE adjustable uppers and my Visa bill was upwards of 600 when all i had to spend was 210 in the begining and do it right...
i would stongly sugest adjustable uppers AND lowers (uppers first if yous still running stock uppers - then lowers if $$$ is enough)
also for the track bar - dont drill a hole, i think PORC is having a sale on their adjustable right now for like $100... or something like that.
longer Bumpstops are only needed in the front if:
- front DS is hitting exhaust manifold
- Tires are hitting to much (AKA you didnt trim enough)
- you feel the need to limit your flex

Longer bumpstops in the rear however are a must to keep your springs from invirting. This will vastly lengthen the life of the spring...

SYE (while i havent freed up the $$$ for one myself) is high on the list of great things to have for strength - get the HD version - you will be much happier and know that you do infact have a straigh, balanced yoke output - AND you can get front and read driveshafts that are close enough in length that one spare DS will work in both locations...

driveshaft length needs may change with the new 2" of lift - so be cognascent (sp?) of that...

also you may need some axle shims (or cut and re weld the spring perches) to get your rear DS angle proper...

mostly a trial and error process. Is thig your DD? can you afford to put some of the parts on and then wait for more parts to come in the mail while your rig's rear pinion angle is way out of whack?
^^ just some things to think about - not necessarly real problems... ^^

HTH,
-Ranger

My first 3" was Explorer Procomp when my Jeep was 6 month old (baby) Since that I have replaced everyting from UCA, LCA (both adj) both driveshafts. Rear springs, shackles. My best thing was SYE, 4.10 gears and adj UCA and LCA and ofcourse Front hub conversion. One thing is left from Procomp is adj track bar with rebult heim joint (got really slopy).
It takes a bit $$$ to work all bugs out. My Jeep is between 5-6 for over 3 years now and going strong.
One thing is certain when growing up inchwise, dealing with frnt end vibration will drive you nuts...
Now I look back and think I shouldn't have done all. I think 2-3 inch susp lift, SYE (maybe), lockers (mainly rear) and 30-31 tires will get you far enough to enjoy wilderness at its fullest...

LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU :worship:

im ditching my 3inch leafs.. getting BOR 4.5 pack and run that with shackels. (warn bumper/class 3/ storage box/subs/) flatted my skyjacker pack. and acos probably ontop of the skyjacker 3inch springs.. SYE is done.. can i do the lift (and brake lines) and wait till the next month to do the adjustable control arms . some bumpstops and BPE's maybe(whos?) I dont drive it long distances ...

keith

XJ_ranger said:
when all i had to spend was 210 in the begining and do it right...
i would stongly sugest adjustable uppers AND lowers (uppers first if yous still running stock uppers - then lowers if $$$ is enough)

mostly a trial and error process. Is thig your DD? can you afford to put some of the parts on and then wait for more parts to come in the mail while your rig's rear pinion angle is way out of whack?
^^ just some things to think about - not necessarly real problems... ^^

HTH,
-Ranger
Thanks for the input. When I bought the XJ 6 weeks ago, it was professionally set up by a reputable 4x4 shop for a RE 3.5. SYE, 44 rear w/disk brakes, Detroit. My goal is to add 33's (has 31's now) and another 2" onto the existing 3.5 for more ground clearance. 90% of what I do (now) the 31's / 3.5 can handle but that other 10% is growing. I'm trying to avoid too much trial and error on this project. Once I get a picture of the potential problems I'll make the decision on what line I want to take for my application.

Thanks for you comments.
PS: It's not a DD but want it to be very stable on the hwy for those 200 - 300 (+) mile trips. My CJ is strickly a trail machine and am done with towing for the trails I want to do now. Once I wean myself from the CJ I'll be fine.

The best thing to do is try and see.
I put the procomp 3.5 on then added 1.25 shackles in the rear with no problems, The shackles help with pinion angle a little. bump stops can wait as long as you dont go off raod, the same as upper control arms. If the front pinion angle is to much then remove the front drive shaft until you get adjustable uppers.
Bar pin eliminators can be made at home or purchased from a hundred places, I used the JKS just because they were the only ones I'd heard of when I got them.
once you get your lift on with all the normal weight on your vehicle then you can decide how much to trim.

ROKTAXI said:
Want another 2" on my '94. I bought it with a RE 3.5 and want to add 2". What is the opinion of using 2" donuts. I'm planning on new springs for the back. I already have a SYE. Do you see any issues with the spacers? Also considering a 62mm TB and spacer. Are these mouse milk or are they worth the investment? Appreciate any comments!
Marty

you should be fine... since you already have a SYE the only thing i could reccommend is some 6* shims for the leafs.

HTH
brandon
PS, i assume you have a adjustable TB, longer brakelines, and eventually buying a steering frame brace...

Back