• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do RE drop brackets

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
require a front end alignment post-installation? The xj needs an inspection real soon, I'd like to install the brackets but hold off the alignment until I install new tires. Technically the michelins will pass, they do have about 10-15 k left on them, but I'd like to make sure everything is tight up front before I install BFGAT's.

Thanks,

Mike #300

it'd be a wise decision to get an alignment after the install for safety reasons. haven't you every experienced death wobble?

brandon

mikeny59 said:
require a front end alignment post-installation? The xj needs an inspection real soon, I'd like to install the brackets but hold off the alignment until I install new tires. Technically the michelins will pass, they do have about 10-15 k left on them, but I'd like to make sure everything is tight up front before I install BFGAT's.

Thanks,

Mike #300

Generally, yes. If you are gaining lift and/or changing the length of your controls arms, you should get an alignment.

Brad

Yes. It will change the wheel base slightly, which will change the angle of the link from pitman arm to knuckle, which will change the angle of the tie rod to the other knuckle.

Five years ago I installed an RE 4.5" lift with full National spring packs, non-adjustable ca's, and a currie/sixstates (when Tom Woods was there) sye and dc/ds. 242 ('98). Shims too, can't remember degrees though. Non-adjustable track bar.

I can honestly say I have never, ever felt what even hinted at death wobble, but I don't think I've ever approached 75 mph; I drive 59 in the right lane, I am extremely conditioned by a ticket I got fifteen years ago. :rattle:

Good suggestion, I'll hold off the drop brackets until after the inspection, it's due in less than a month but I'm off Monday, might as well get it done now.

Yeah, some inspection shops will go through the NYS manual with a fine tooth comb, the first inspection I got after buying my Classic new, he charged me for aiming the headlights, but didn't realize that the e-codes that I went through great pains to adjust not to offend oncoming traffic did not say DOT approved. After I paid the bill, I mentioned the fact that he just not only passed my hellas that were already adjusted perfectly, but charged me for adjusting a set of illegal headlamps, that, by the way, was not once flashed by an oncoming vehicle because of blinding the driver.

I didn't get my money back because we were both in the wrong, but I mentioned that I was a NYS state inspector maybe twenty years ago (before I decided to go to school)and added he and his employees should be more familiar with inspecting a vehicle.

Thanks for the help,

Mike #300

It may be a good idea to get an alignment but usually the drop downs don't require it. For the most part the control arms keep the front axle square to the rear axle. Yes there is some caster adjustment on the lower c/a but most alignment shops won't even look at that. Trust me on this. I used to work at one. Unless you go to a reputable shop and specifically mention the drop downs and that you are concerened about the caster and alignment to the rear axle, they won't even look at it. I have had them on my 90 for 3 yrs and have never had a problem with the alignment or the wheels tracking badly.

In short, when you put the drop downs on make sure that the front axle is square to the rear axle and you should be just fine.

See ya.........Mikey :cool:

if your inspection station gives you a problem, dont bother going to them. ask one of the techs first before you waster the 20 bucks on NYSI. best bet is to drive to a dealership and look for another lifted truck. chances are that tech will be a little more forgiving with the inspection

Do your own alignment. It is NOT hard and it will save you oodles of money in the long run. There is a writeup about it on Gojeeps website.

After the first guy, I began going to an alignment shop that's been at the same place like fifty years. They even have some sort of "pit" that they do alot of the work out of. For the last five years he's always done right by me, even got rid of the dreaded re track bar "popping" noise by replacing some hardware, greasing the heck out of the bracket and widened hole re has you drill, and running everything up to I don't know how many ft.lbs.

I want to drill and tap some zerks in the heim joint to emulate whatever he did to get the heavy grease in there, haven't gotten around to it, though.

I appreciate all the words you guys provided, thanks again.

Mike #300

Heim joints are not made to be greased. They are a sealed unit. Where are these Heim joints anyway. Control arms? All you will be doing is introducing contaminents into the joint. It will tear them up. If the Heim joints are on the control arms I believe that Skyjacker has a new design that replaces the old Heim joint. It has a bushing inside the joint and is a lot quieter. Not sure of the cost though. I'm sure they might be a bit pricey being Skyjacker. But what ever you do don't drill the Heim joint. You won't be able to get all the metal out of the joint not to mention the possibility of drilling into the ball.

Laters..........Mikey :cool:

Only heim is the re track bar. Before they did what ever they did, no amount of lithium grease, Boeshield, etc... would quiet it, I guess when they tightened everything up had more to do with eliminating the popping sound than the grease.

No matter how I tried prior, I could never get enough leverage to snug it down, from day one.

I'll ask the tech this time.

Thanks,

Mike #300

mikeny59 said:

Thanks,

Mike #300

Just do your own alignment like I show and you will be done.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

Thanks,

I think I'll give it a go...

Mike #300

Back