• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Front/Ford 9" Rear Axle Swap Question

DaveHillier

NAXJA Forum User
I have found a 1975 F150 Dana 44 front and a 1979 F150 Ford 9 Inch for next to nothing. I also may be able to get a 1977 F100 for next to nothing as well. Are these good axles to swap in? I don't wanna norrow them or anything. Will they be way too wide or can I kinda make up for it in the backspacing of the rim? I have an experienced friend who is going to be doing the messurements and welding. What should I look out for? Thanks!

There's a lot of guys that have gone that route...

Try a search in this forum for

"full width axles"

alot of info around depending if you want to go leafs, control arms, long arms, 8 bolt, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, etc.

Those axles are around 65" WMS to WMS IIRC, which puts them about 5" wider than stock. I would use whichever front axle ('75 or '77) is open knuckle with disc brakes. Otherwise they are both pretty good. The '79 F-150 rear end should be 31 spline, but if it's not no biggie - its easily converted with OEM parts.

I'm getting my 78' f-150 hp44/9" set up to go in my 91' xj with 37" mtrs. U can find alot of info here on this swap as it is pretty popular. I'm keeping them full width and since my hp44 is the rare leaf sprung f-150 5 lug, I got a RE TJ front bracket kit and am having the 4 link put on it to run with my 8" RE/Skyjacker lift. Check into getting some Yukon alloys for a good price from Rawbrown on this site if you are running 35's or bigger on these axles. He set me up with some good prices on the parts and installing it all.
Troy

I am also installing a hp44/9in.in my 89 xj. Mine is out of a 76 F-150, I'm doing a 3-link similar to Goatman's (I hope mine works as good as everyone says his does) with 6 in. coils, will run 36's. It's not that difficult if you can weld.

I'm in this 'process' too. GOt a HP-44/9" out of a '78/'79 ford. Planning on front leaves, SOA rear and 36" TSL's for the MJ.

I got the RE TJ brackets for mine and hope they work. Ryan (Rawbrown) is installing it. My axle is a 78' hp 44 f-150 rare camper edi with leafs so it might need some tweaking to get it to work. At 1st I was thinking of just doing leafs SOA up front, but I do like my coils so I'm going with the 4 link and my RE/Skyjacker lift (RE x-duty 5.5 with drop brackets and 8" Xj skyjacker coils).
Troy

I just found 2 sets of fronts and rear for $200.00 out of a 78 3/4 ton ford. Not sure what they are. I may go this route is it is better. They already have 4.56 or 4.10 ring and pinion. Thanks for the help.

DaveHillier said:
I just found 2 sets of fronts and rear for $200.00 out of a 78 3/4 ton ford. Not sure what they are. I may go this route is it is better. They already have 4.56 or 4.10 ring and pinion. Thanks for the help.

Nice pickup Dave. The rear should be a 8 lug dana 60 and the front a hp44 8 lug as well.
Troy

Big Red said:
Nice pickup Dave. The rear should be a 8 lug dana 60 and the front a hp44 8 lug as well.
Troy

Unless he got real lucky and got a hp60 in the front.

flexj said:
Unless he got real lucky and got a hp60 in the front.

True, that would be real nice, but most people know what they have and these hold a good price as being the most sought after driver drop front axle. The f-150 was hp44 5 lug, f-250 hp44 8 lug, and f-350 hp60 8 lug. All are good axles to get, Ford really had something with the hp thing. :)
Troy

Will these F250 axles be the same a a F100 or F150? I'm going to pick them up on Sunday. Not doing the project till spring though. Does anyone know what could be in them for gears? He said he thought they were 4.10s or 4.56s. Do you guys know what I'd have to do to the brakes or just hook up my brakelines?

Thanks for all the help

Hey guys, I got a few more questions. Will the 3/4 tons axles make my Jeep wider than the 1/2 ton axles? I don't like the looks of it too wide. I need it to be legal for the street too. What about steering? What would I need for that? I need some more help and I've searched the forums already.

Thanks

I have just about finished my hp44/9in.install. I'm not about the width of 3/4 ton. On my brakes I used parts from Speedway Motors - AN3 stainless lines,AN3 banjo fittings,AN3 male to 3/8-24 iff fittings. For the steering I used dom tube, inserts, and heims from Spidertrax.

Re: Dana 44 Front/Dana 60 F250 Rear Axle Swap Question

OK, so how and I find out the difference in widths with rims on. Like how will I know what backspacing will fit over the brakes? Thanks for all the help

Back