• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where can i find a 1ft cb antenna

BlackOut98

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i am looking for a 1ft black cb antenna to mount on my rack, but cant seem to find it anywhere, could someone tell me a place to find one. Also, i do not have a tow hitch in the back and was wondering of a cheap way to get pulled out by the rear such as any tow hook brackets available? thanks alot

In my opinion, a 1ft CB antenna is as useful as solar powered flashlight......your range will be severely limited.
I run a 3ft unit on my rig that mounts to the rack rail near the drivers rear and it's sometimes inadequate when in broken terrain. I base this on other's that I wheel with who run longer whips and have much better signal range. Dialing in the signal with an SWR meter is critical as well.

There is a factory tow hook bracket for the rear, but you will have to buy the nutcerts for it also. This may cost close to the price of a hitch. If you get a hook make sure you use the bracket or it will just tear out.

I just bought a CB Antenna this week. Check out www.alfenterprises.com They have a good assortment. I bought a 3-foot antenna that folds down when you go into a garage or a carwash. They have a kit that includes 18' of coaxial cable. (kitE36)

I wouldn't recommend using a 1 ft CB antenna if you find one. If you can, reconfigure how you intend to install it, in order to use something at least in the 3ft range.

BOB said:

Great source of some pertinant info too, such as:
http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/MobileCBAntennas.html

In this diagram, the loss is based on 800MHz!!!!, on a reference location!!!

The CB band is near 27MHz, I won't do the math here, but you could add another db of loss, or more.

Now think about a bumper / tailight bracket / fender mounted antenna.

Got ground plane? How's your ERP these days?

--ron

PS: I can't hear you...

FWIW, I have an antenna that is very similar to the DS-11 on this webpage:

http://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/whipand.htm

ds11.jpg

and have never had any trouble with it when wheeling. I don't use it on the highway, so I can't give you any info as to maximum range, etc. But one time, when I was linking up with some buddies that were coming from the opposite direction I was able to contact them over a mile and a half away (with a hill and timber between us) without problem.

I have a magnetic mount rubber ducky that I got at a nearby T/A truck stop for $19. Seems to work okay. I don't run the CB on the highway as much as I used to so I don't have any range comparison. I'm sure it's less than my old gutter mount whip used to deliver, but the gutter mount got destroyed by tree limbs on the trails.

Hammertoe said:
Glass mount antennas can be had at good ol'Wallfart, 1' long.
One of the guys in NAC had one of those. He couldn't transmit from the southbound granny lane of I-95 to the northbound side of the median.

Honest. We tried it. He had a one-way communication system -- receive only. The transmit range was measured in feet (or inches).

I have a 6' cobra mounted on a braket between the body and rear turn. sticks out to the side about 1.5 inches, but never had a isse, its on a spring and the tire sticks out further. sure, i might bend it at some point. but it only sits like 1.5' above the top of the roof. talked to truckers over 15 miles away with it, i was at the top of a hill, he was at the bottom.

Eagle said:
One of the guys in NAC had one of those. He couldn't transmit from the southbound granny lane of I-95 to the northbound side of the median.

Honest. We tried it. He had a one-way communication system -- receive only. The transmit range was measured in feet (or inches).

Yeah they suck! I just tossed one in the trash last night! You'd be better off yelling at them w/ the window up, lol.

Jason

for cb, the longer the better, it works on light-of sight principle as well, but has to match the wave lenght, my 1/2 wavelength behind my house is 27 feet:p
higher frequency = smaller antenna
lower frequency (cb 27mhz +) = longer antenna

ever wonder why cell phones that operate at 2.4 ghz have no antennas? they are inside because they are so small

Back