• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower rear shock bolt problem

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
Installed the SYE, the new drive shaft and a 4 degree shim to get the angles right.
Everything is progressing fine until I notice that the lower shock absorber’s bushings both looked tweaked. Since the shims have rotated the rear axle, the lower shock bolts do not line up right with the center of the bushing, causing the distortion of the bushing. This is not good.
Can I put some heat on the bolts and bend then up a little or will this significantly weaken them? I did a good search and could find nothing on the topic.

I can see a future project in raising the mount but not today.

Larry

The proper fix is either cut off the shock mounts and relocate them OR cut off the spring perches and relocate them!

RCP Phx said:
The proper fix is either cut off the shock mounts and relocate them OR cut off the spring perches and relocate them!

You'd still have to move the shock mounts to rid yourself of bushing bindage........moving the perches just gets rid of then need for shims.

Shock mounts are pretty easy to relocate, someone did a pretty decent writeup on it here a few weeks back............

i would bend it with some heat but just try not to heat the tube to much and cook gear oil. put a pipe on the stud and bend it in the proper direction.

hey if they break then u have an excuse to cut them off and weld on new mount's!!!

XJEEPER said:
You'd still have to move the shock mounts to rid yourself of bushing bindage........moving the perches just gets rid of then need for shims.

Shock mounts are pretty easy to relocate, someone did a pretty decent writeup on it here a few weeks back............
Good call,I forgot I dont have shock mounts even on yet!!!!!!!

Back