• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone actually use their MT/R warranty?

cloudswimmer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this probably is the wrong forum to post this but it seems most of the hardcore guys definately hang here so.... I was wondering how many who run MT/R's have bought the tire shops warranty and have actually used it to replace a tire that got trashed.I''m getting my 33" MT/R's this weekend from America's Tire and they also offer one of these no hassle warranty's you can buy.Alot of tire threads here have said "buy the warranty" just was looking for some case examples.I've run BFG Muds, Bias TSL's, and Radial TSL's in the past and never needed to replace a tire.The only tire I ever replaced was the stock goodyear wrangler that came on the jeep new when a piece of re-bar went through it on a fire road.Thanks..................Chris

Yikes! And Americas tire warranted all of them?! What size and how much $ are they charging for them? How much does the warranty cost for them?
Also, cuts in the sidewalls or ??
I thought MT/R's could handle a lot of abuse, any other tires better at rock abuse than MT/R's?

jjmat3 said:
Yikes! And Americas tire warranted all of them?! What size and how much $ are they charging for them? How much does the warranty cost for them?
I thought MT/R's could handle a lot of abuse, any other tires better at rock abuse than MT/R's?

They want 20.00 a tire for warranty

i used my waranty on 2 BFG radials on my ranger. sweet deal - pulled in, showed reciept, and boom new tires...

and the waranty helps when you loose a bead or naything else - just pop it back on...

jjmat3 said:

Jeeez thats not good news.I too thought MT/R's could handle alot of abuse.I've been wanting to get more into rocks out here in Calif. and it seems like virtually everyones running em.

cloudswimmer said:
Jeeez thats not good news.I too thought MT/R's could handle alot of abuse.I've been wanting to get more into rocks out here in Calif. and it seems like virtually everyones running em.

MTRs are good tires for the dry rock stuff here in Cali, AZ, NV, CO, etc. They don't do that good in the mud, but are good tires. I had 35's and lost 1 on Fordyce and now am moving up to 37" mtrs with my axles modified hp44/9". I hear that JV is very hard on tires and if you want to play here, U really need to start looking more at bias ply tires although alot of people Crash, Goatman, etc have mtrs, they and others who play here have been going through them. The tire warranty is definately a must if you plan on doing the trails in this area, the rocks are very sharp from what I hear and seen on video. I want to make it down there to wheel soon once I get my tires and axles in.
Troy

I've never had a problem with my MT/r's except when i can't get enough traction.....

granite+ rain = sliding backwards while driving forward......

I average 1.5 MTR's per year for a total of 5 since I've been running them.

All warrantied by America's Tire without question.

Sidewall strength is a relative thing. MTR's are very good for radials. Bias ply Interco tires are going to be better, but you have to put up with crappy traction, horrible driveability, and short lifespan.

Jes saw the "new and improved" BFG MT's in action last summer. 3 cut 35's in ONE RUN on the Rubicon.

And the Rubicon ain't JV or AZ.

CRASH

jjmat3 said:

I've warranted 4 (I think) so far. I have a couple still to take in. I always have 6 tires on hand, that way I can space out the warrenty claims.
The warranty runs $33, + mandatory balancing $$$. Every time I go in I have to meet with the manager to waive to balancing fee. I run 315/75/16's, which are a few more $$$ than a 35".
All were cut in the sidewall.
My recent bad luck in the exception to the rule with MT/Rs. Prior to the 6 I lost last year, I had only lost 1, & that was in AZ where we were all slashing tires. I've been running MT/Rs since they first came out, so that's not too bad.
There may stronger tires out there, but I don't know of one that works as well in the rocks.

Paul

I had the the no-hassle warranty from Phillips Tire when I had my 31" BFG AT's. Less than a month old I cut a sidewall. I had no problem getting it replaced.

someone on another board had this happen (flat-towing their TJ- didn't realize the tire went flat, etc...)

guy has/had the America's Tire warranty, and they replaced it

tire.jpg

I've warrantied 4 through America's/Discount Tire. Only one of the MT/Rs that I've cut was a instant sidewall slash. All the others gave up the ghost after repeated beatings on the same little slices that over time got bigger and bigger.
Do I think the Goodyears have weak sidewalls compared to other tires? No. I'd likely go through just as many Claws, PJ's, Swampers, or BFG radial tires. Just something that happens when you play in the rocks a lot.

Jes said:
I've warrantied 4 through America's/Discount Tire. Only one of the MT/Rs that I've cut was a instant sidewall slash. All the others gave up the ghost after repeated beatings on the same little slices that over time got bigger and bigger.
Do I think the Goodyears have weak sidewalls compared to other tires? No. I'd likely go through just as many Claws, PJ's, Swampers, or BFG radial tires. Just something that happens when you play in the rocks a lot.

In your case, I'm pretty sure it's driver error.......

CRASH

CRASH said:
In your case, I'm pretty sure it's driver error.......

CRASH

I must be doing something wrong when I lose one while driving to Circle K. A seven plugger! :doh:

Jes said:
I must be doing something wrong when I lose one while driving to Circle K. A seven plugger! :doh:

What did you expect when you ramped up on that wino. The dude had sharp teeth.

I've warrantied 6 tires over the last 3 years with several done on the road at different America's tires in different states. Never been hassled. Only question I've ever gotten was that it must have been a fun trail. The warranties have been $20 & you have to rebuy the warranty each time you warranty a tire. I guess mounting & balancing would be extra, but I do this myself with the bead locks.

Matt

Back