• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a replacement steel brake line for the rear axle

Boneyard.

I paid $2 for the short side a couple of weeks ago.

tompatjr said:
Well the rear is a 87 Dana 44?

Well that's interesting. I had to replace the short side on MY 87 Dana44. Damn thing froze up in the brass fitting on the flexible line. I pulled the short side off of a D35. Not exactly the same bends, but it worked.

karstic said:
Well that's interesting. I had to replace the short side on MY 87 Dana44. Damn thing froze up in the brass fitting on the flexible line. I pulled the short side off of a D35. Not exactly the same bends, but it worked.

I need the long side, I might try the one on off my D35 first. It maybe close enough to work.

I'm using the lines from my 8.25 on my D44. I ended up retapping the breather hole to accept the 8.25 junction block as well.

My dealership is, I think, one of the best for parts. They were a Jeep dealer before Chrysler bought Jeep, so it's not a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer who now also sells a couple of Jeeps. They do NOT stock factory hard brake lines. The parts department stocks standard lengths, and they make 'em up to fit what's needed. I don't think you can even order factory hard lines.

There are two companies who advertise these in the 4x4 magazines. One is Classic Tubing, I can't recall the name of the other. I ordered a set of rear lines for a D44 axle. They told me they had a template. Tubes came, and weren't even close to being a match. I think they must have been for an older full-size Cherokee with the wide wheel option. Sent them back, with my originals, and they remade them. They did NOT return my originals, so I now have no template, even though I specifically asked them to return the old ones and they said they would. And I ate the cost of shipping the bad ones (with my old lines) back to them.

I don't recall which company I used, but someone else on here had the exact same experience with the other company, so the one is as good/bad as the other. The only advantage to having them make them is the spring wrap gravel guard. For the cost, I would not do it again. Just go to AutoZone, buy standard lengths a bit longer than what you need, and invest the money you saved in a good double flaring tool so you can cut the new tubes down to the length you need and reflare the cut end.

Back