• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I-6 to V8 Swap

trailrider

NAXJA Forum User
I am wanting to swap my I-6 for a V8 and i was wondering if anyone had done this and could give me some advice as to what kind of motor, tranny or T-case to use. Any advice welcome

trailrider said:
I am wanting to swap my I-6 for a V8 and i was wondering if anyone had done this and could give me some advice as to what kind of motor, tranny or T-case to use. Any advice welcome

Lexus 4.7 V-8, Aisin 5 speed automatic, Atlas.

Cheap, simple, easy to find, more powerful and reliable than any domestic V-8.

CRASH

trailrider said:

Motor: Stroke the 4.0 to a 4.6. It'll have more low rev grunt than an equivalent sized V8.
Tranny: AW4.
T-case: NP242HD from a Dodge. Atlas II the best but also expensive.

personaly - im thinkin a 402 and all the drivetrain including axles from a Grand Wagoneer "Wide track"
but then agian - i have no real expierence with engine swap stuff...

CRASH said:
Lexus 4.7 V-8, Aisin 5 speed automatic, Atlas.

Cheap, simple, easy to find, more powerful and reliable than any domestic V-8.

CRASH

Possibly a good swap but the motor, parts, adapters and and anything associated would be neither cheap nor easy to find.

More powerful and reliable. No.

It's probably a nice motor but not by any means the best choice.

Double post, sorry.

Last edited:
I agree with Dr. Dyno, I'd stroke that 4.0L out to 4.6 or 4.7L and leave the motor in there. It's not that easy to do a V-8 swap in an XJ and with the stroker kit you can have very good performance for what U pay, plus you keep the stock I-6 motor. I'm looking to do this when my 205K mile 4.0L HO gives up. I will need a rebuild anyways and with some more $ into it, could have v-8 performance. These stroker kits can have up to 320 hp or so with the right parts and compression.

If U really want to do the V-8 swap and have lots of $$$, then what better than a nice Hemi Mopar in there. The new Grand Cherokees are coming out with them now as almost all Chrysler vehicles have them as an option. A 5.7L 98' zj motor would be pretty cool.

If you want to keep the costs down a bit, go Chevy like a LT1 or LS1 from a Camero, Firebird, or Vet with the 4L60E auto tranny. It's a nice tranny, I had it in my 94' YJ with a 4.3L vortec.
Troy

I was verry close to swapping in a ford 289 and np435 into my xj but decided to go with a stroker because I like pulling power out of smaller engines and I didn't want to deal with all of the fab. Now that I want to build a street mj I am eithier going to go with a 3.6L de-stroker with twin turbos (if I can ever get enough $$$), or the same 289ci but with a more suitable tranny. Another option that has been working it's way through my mind lately is a 5.9L out of a Ram or a rare GC. But I have been thinking 408ci stroker for the 5.9L block. The 289ci is a small engine that can produce a lot of power if built right, thats why I like the idea. Then there is always the chevy 350 and turbo 350 or turbo 400 trans. That would be the cheapest engine to build.

I think a grand cherokee v-8 either the 5.9 in the 98 or the 5.2s or even my favorite the 4.7s would be very feasible. If I found a good deal on one I surely wouldn't hesitate to put it in the xj.=-====Kyle

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think that iam going to stroke the I-6 so that i can keep the cost down. Does anyone know where i can get a good stroker kit

offroadman83 said:
I think a grand cherokee v-8 either the 5.9 in the 98 or the 5.2s or even my favorite the 4.7s would be very feasible. If I found a good deal on one I surely wouldn't hesitate to put it in the xj.=-====Kyle

4.7L v-8's are huge dimensionally. I have heard the 5.7 Hemi is smaller dimensionally than the 4.7L.

I'd go Supercharger if i was in a position to increase power...

Get your current motor in tip top shape or possibly drop in a freshened head with a new shortblock...

Toss on the charger with a spacer headgasket and a small pulley... do up an air to water intercooler... then either larger injectors and a piggyback device or some kind of FMU (not the best solution).....

With a properly sized charger/pulley/intercooler combo you could easily get to the 275-285 range...

with standalone injection/ignition and lower compression pistons instead of the spacer gasket the sky is the limit!

And these motors are stout. With a cast head and block.. I bet with a set of aftermarket forged pistons designed with strong ringlands for handling boost you could easily pump out 300 or more on the stock displacement..

This is the route I would go for more HP...

might be a little more $$ but in the end I think It'd be more fun..

Ludakris said:
4.7L v-8's are huge dimensionally. I have heard the 5.7 Hemi is smaller dimensionally than the 4.7L.
False, the reason the 4.7 is offered in the dakota and not the Hemi is cause the Hemi is simply to big.

Back