• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer flares

bigwhitey

NAXJA Forum User
So I took off my snokel and bushwakers to run TJ flares. Now I found out the flares off the rear of a ford explorer will work. I had to fill the hole in the very front of the fender left by the TJ flares with diamond plate but other wise I only had to cut upward. Now I need to figure out how much I can safely remove from the inner fender-well, and do the rear. heres a couple of pics for any one interested.
full.JPG

fullstraight.JPG

You can see on the rear inside of this one the metal I want to cut. Hopefully I won't need to cut much once I push the axle forward an inch or so.

i cant see the pics right now but thats cause im at school, but what year explorer did those come off of, because im lookin to do somethig along these lines, thanks

scott

dont cut it
pound the living fawk out of it...
- might want to strengthen the body at the same time in aonther location... -

It does the job but I don't like the looks of it, TJ flares actually fit with the lines of the xj those don't at all. As for the metal in the back of the well, just pound it back with a hammer, you don't want to cut off that pinch seem.

CW said:
It does the job but I don't like the looks of it, TJ flares actually fit with the lines of the xj those don't at all. As for the metal in the back of the well, just pound it back with a hammer, you don't want to cut off that pinch seem.
I dunno, I kinda prefer the look of these to the TJs. I find the TJs look cobbled (sorry) whereas these kinda give a big flared baja look.

Just some balance/couterpoint. :)

r@m

OK so beating the lip with a hammer worked great. It all folded over and now I have no rubbing. I checked by jacking up the opposite rear wheel and cycled the steering. I picked up some 4dr Eddie bauer flares for the rear. heres a pic of the front with the seam smashed down. I'll undercoat it when the rain stops.
hammered.JPG

scottsxj said:
i cant see the pics right now but thats cause im at school, but what year explorer did those come off of, because im lookin to do somethig along these lines, thanks

scott

The front ones are off the rear of a 95 2dr thats why they don't stick out much. The set I picked up for the rear are off a 97 4dr. To get the wider ones you have to look for a eddie bauer edition.

bigwhitey said:
The front ones are off the rear of a 95 2dr thats why they don't stick out much. The set I picked up for the rear are off a 97 4dr. To get the wider ones you have to look for a eddie bauer edition.
thanks man, they look really good, i have some that i got from a two door, maybe ill get around to mounting them some time. How hard was it to modify the back part of the flare so it fits nicely on the fender.

Heres the final project for the front until I can find some eddie bauer 2dr's to stick out farther. I beat the lip over with a hammer used marine epoxy to seal the seam and sprayed rubber under coating on everything to make it look nice.

hammered3.JPG

Lore5 said:
It looks a lot better with the rear ones on too. But why is the rear have that wierd curve. It looks almost flat at that one part

I think the flat part is the very top I had to rock it back to make it meet the lower rocker. Other wise i would of needed to use the rear section of the flare like hackedxj

i don't know it looks good don't get me wrong, but i think u should have used the same size flares on the front and back. but if does look like u put alot of work into them. good job. btw did you get the flares off a sport? and how much did they get for them.

Last edited:
diabloxj said:
i don't know it looks good don't get me wrong, but i think u should have used the same size flares on the front and back. but if does look like u put alot of work into them. good job. btw did you get the flares off a sport? and how much did they get for them.

I can't find a two door eddie bauer to get another matching set for the front so I'm using these until I do. I used rear flare on the front and rear of mine. I like the ones onthe front better but they don't cover the tire like the extended ones do.

yah hey man do u have a pic looking at the flares from the front so i can see how fare they stick out over the tire.

Back