• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eclosed cold air intake.

CW

NAXJA Forum User
My air filter was covered with ice the other day so I decided to do something about it and I want to be able to keep the hot engine bay air out of the filter.
I used a few pieces from an early supra intake and a stock renix air box. Total cost was $2.00. I will add heat shieding to the box later.
18iwsk

18iwzo

It's not the best looking but it was cheap and accomplished what I wanted. I just thought I'd share since this idea came up a month or two ago in a post that I can't find.

CW said:
My air filter was covered with ice the other day so I decided to do something about it and I want to be able to keep the hot engine bay air out of the filter.
I used a few pieces from an early supra intake and a stock renix air box. Total cost was $2.00. I will add heat shieding to the box later.
18iwsk

18iwzo

It's not the best looking but it was cheap and accomplished what I wanted. I just thought I'd share since this idea came up a month or two ago in a post that I can't find.

So you took a cone filter and put it into the air box? Aren't you limiting your air flow that way? Did you cut out any extra holes in the airbox to let the air in? Why not run a regular filter and insulate the box? or make a heat shield for the cone that doesn't limit air flow?

My Renix airbox draws air from behind the headlight and the hole for the old intake on the lid lets a lot of air in. This was more to keep slush off of the filter this winter, but I will make a few changes to make it work well. I thought this was better for airflow than ice caked to the filter.

Can you just turn the top of the airbox around so it draws cooler air from the front instead of over the hot headers?

I wonder how much advantage that this will net you over a simple K&N drop in.

Have you seen Airaid's new XJ setup? It looks similar to what you did but I think that it is supposed to seal against the inside of the hood. It does cost more than $2.00 though.

Sluch on the filter?
I run a 8" cone and never had sluch on the filter.
Any idea how its getting on the fliter?

gixer said:
Sluch on the filter?
I run a 8" cone and never had sluch on the filter.
Any idea how its getting on the fliter?

The 36's throw slush into the engine bay when I turn, and it was sticking to the filter. I think I will be going with a something similar to Dr. Dynos later, I just left the lid off yesterday and didn't get anything on the filter.

Back