• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I remove a fender flare?

Codhead

NAXJA Forum User
Folks, Haven't had access to the jeep in a week or so to look at it, so forgive if I ask an obvious question (did a search and came up dry). The jeep's going to the body shop on Monday to fix a dent in the right rear quarter panel (the stump won). I'd like to take off the right rear fender flare and bumper end cap so the body shop has easy access (and I don't get charged for the labor). I will be putting these back on. A search of this site showed that there are bolts holding the flares on. Are these easy to get at and remove? Any tips or suggestions? How about the bumper end cap - does the bumper need to come off for access?

Codhead said:
Folks, Haven't had access to the jeep in a week or so to look at it, so forgive if I ask an obvious question (did a search and came up dry). The jeep's going to the body shop on Monday to fix a dent in the right rear quarter panel (the stump won). I'd like to take off the right rear fender flare and bumper end cap so the body shop has easy access (and I don't get charged for the labor). I will be putting these back on. A search of this site showed that there are bolts holding the flares on. Are these easy to get at and remove? Any tips or suggestions? How about the bumper end cap - does the bumper need to come off for access?

take out the screws

there are 10 or 12 10mm bolts holding them on. the studs are on a plate on the inside of the quarter panel and will most likely break off. so you'll probably have to get some new ones, or just replace them with individual bolts.

HTH

trees and rocks ussually work good also :D

Hit em up with some PB Blaster or Break Free, before trying to remove the nuts. May help in preventing a few break offs. I found that the nuts sieze up after backing them off. There might be enough stud left to use, you just have to get new nuts.

Actually, I found the best thing to do if you break one, is bust them all off then drill the brackets out to 1/4 and use 1/4 hardware. Might as well clean up and repaint them to prevent some of the reoccuring rust. Actually, what year XJ do you have. I have a full set of painted black fender flares, brackets and 1/4 hardware, if you want them. They have been trimmed to fit 33's, PM if your interested.

Back