• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!! 89 or 2000!!!

fasta76

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys...

I have an 89 xj cherokee sport im guessing.. It has no options!!!!! NONE!!! 320,000 km 3.5 inch rancho lift.. THe body is not in to bad of shape.. Has a little rust under back rear window on the pasenger side and a little on the rear door.. The Engine has about had it... i replaced the main's last summer to bring up the oil presure.. And the main seal. Replaced all the vacuum lines on the motor. Instaled a KN cold air intake. the trany lines are starting to leak. and the transfer case is also starting to leak. the muffler is starting to go and make noise.. The lift is starting to sag and the shocks need new bushings.. i bought another 89 for parts the Engine is had!! but is a good core for a rebuild the has had some work done in the last year. and the front and rear ends are also good....

So my delema is should i rebuild everything on the 89.. i wasnt to put a 4.5 inch lift, cut outs, new motor, trany, trans, 4.56 gears and 33 inch tires.... or should i look for a newer one with the H.O motor and go that route.. I would like air conditioning but thats not a huge must..

also what is better??? An automatic trany or a manual??? Ive herd the auto will last forever!!!

Thanks

Tom
P.S. I will be doing most the work myself.. Good Mec skills

dont buy a 99 or newer because the front axle is a low pinion dana 30 which causes driveshaft angle problems when lifting them. if swapping in an axle that is a high pinion and already geared then dont worry about that problem. stick with an auto. the aw-4 auto is made by aisin which is part of toyota so they are very long lasting, do not buy a stick. they are fun and sporty when the jeep is stock buy when fourwheeling it really isn't geared low enough. i have 4.56 gears and it barely crawls slow enough in the tough stuff, plus mine is making noise and is very expensive to replace and i've got the better ax15 and not the peugot tranny

I vote 99. Front axle, should be an issue, as you already have 2 from the sound of it. $.02

Rob

no, but i was in the market to buy a "newer" xj and got down to look underneath a newer one and saw a LP 30. salesmen give you strange looks when you say that xj is no good because it has an LP front axle. they are ok but i dont think you can get away with no where near as much lift as an xj with a HP axle.

FELIX said:
I vote 99. Front axle, should be an issue, as you already have 2 from the sound of it. $.02

Rob

I was thinkin' along the same lines - but only if one of his rigs has the HP D30 WITHOUT the vacuum disconnect. Regardless, just because the newer ones don't have the HP axle, it isn't a big deal to swap one in - he'd basically be doing it anyway when installing a lift - if he did go newer XJ.

The HO engine is always an upgrade and he's certainly more likely to spend more time driving the newer XJ rather than more time fixing the old one. Plus, dumping alot of money into an old, tired XJ is kinda like polishing a turd. Unless you're really in love with the '89, go newer. It'll be cheaper in the end - if your time is valuable.

Oh, and about the auto vs. manual...... Manual is more fuel efficient and is nicer to drive on the highway because it keeps engine speeds down. An auto is easier to 'wheel with...... it takes a real man to 'wheel a manual trans. :laugh3:

Good luck!

Last edited:
JeepXJ93 said:
I HAVE A 2000....ITS YOURS IF YOU WANT IT..JUNK i miss my 93
(i just invested over 1200 bux for a new d/s sye and 4" RE superflex kit and now i have no 4 wd) 10g's and its urs lol

99 was the last year of the HP Dana 30. The AW-4 is a great tranny, but if you get the 5 speed and get it geared right you can put it in gear and let it idle along, instead of driving with two feet in an auto, you can drive with none. The key is doing it right. Also, if you do get a 2000 there is a different 5sp than the AX-15 but supposed to be better/stronger (Don't recall which one exactly, I think it's the one that was used in the Wranglers during that time)

As far as lift, I haven't heard of problems getting them higher than any others. Just the driveline vibes that are a nuisance, but can be rectified. With my 2000, we just did what you do so fix it - SYE, new driveshaft and shims, no big deal.

If my LP 30 takes a crap, sure I'll get a HP on round 2, but it works for now so no sense in replacing it.

-Marisha

those aw4's are bulletproof (made by toyota) but stay away from the 5 speeds. i have mine geared with 4.56's and i wished badly that i had the automatic know. sure i probably get 1 or 2 MPG more but the auto is SOOOO nice on the trail. buy a 5 speed, get a crawler or atlas

Pietro said:
those aw4's are bulletproof (made by toyota) but stay away from the 5 speeds. i have mine geared with 4.56's and i wished badly that i had the automatic know. sure i probably get 1 or 2 MPG more but the auto is SOOOO nice on the trail. buy a 5 speed, get a crawler or atlas

Wrong!. The AW4 transmission is made by Aisin Warner which also makes transmissions for Toyota (A340), Mitsubishi, etc....

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/eng/s/frameset.html

5-speeds are great with 4.56's and a Atlas 4:1 or 5:1. They just walk up and down stuff at idle.

HP's were used up until 99 and in 00 they went to the LP used in the TJ since 97.

well for me i like the older 87-91. the motor may be only 25 hp less and 25 fp less torque, but on the older motors it reaches its peak torque at about 700 rpms lower. And less electronics in the engine compartment. SIMPLE..TO..WORK..ON...

I you plan to keep it for a while i will go with the 2000 there is more aftermarket accessories, and about the d30 lp is a good chance to upgrade it for a 44 hp or a 60

I have had '92, '95, and '99.
My '99 is by far my favorite, and when this one goes, I will replace it with another '99, without question.
I have NEVER seen a LP 30 on a 1999, nor has anyone I know.
Granted, I am on my 3rd front axle, but all of them have been HP.
The 29 spline 8.25 was an awesome axle, and I ran it locked with stock gears for 4 years while I wheeled my '95.
I have since put in a 44, but not because the 8.25 broke.
The unibody in my '99 feels stiffer and more responsive than my previous 2 XJs, as well.
Before anyone pipes in, I have NEVER seen the coil-on-plug ignition on a '99 either, and I like the older style coil.
HTH.

Personally I like the 95-96 because of the older body style. 99 was a great year for still having the HP30 and the new equal length runner intake system while still having the tubular header exhaust manifold. There are lots of parts for 91-99 and suspension stuff will swap to all.

Back