• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Help

ptjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm just looking for some opinions on what to do. My xj has a 4.5" lift with tj coils, Rusty's adj. upper and lower control arms and 4.5" leaves in the rear. I would like to lift it another 2". I am considering either buying the RE 5.5 extreme duty kit, just the RE coils, leaves and shocks or maybe just a coil spacer and extended shackle with shocks. What are some of the pros and cons of these options? Would the Rusty's adj control arms work the the larger coils? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If I were you, I'd do the spacer/shackle route

Cheap and easy, especially if you go the used route on the spacer and use a chevy lowering shackle.

Less than 100.00 :cheers:

major problem: over 4.5" of lift without drop brackets or long arm upgrade
i think you should get a drop bracket and spacer or upgrade to at least lower long arms. if you have a full replacement spring pack in back, a 1 or 2 inch block shouldn't hurt at all

Pietro said:
major problem: over 4.5" of lift without drop brackets or long arm upgrade

im running 5.5" front end on adjustables w/o DB's or LA's i have no Major problem...

"What is your major malfunction Numbnuts?"

Depends on what you can afford. If you can afford to go a true suspension lift (new coils , leafs , arms ect ect) then do it. I went with 2" blocks and 1 3/4" spacers to get overall 5" of lift and I didnt like it very much. In the end I saved up my $$ and bought the Full Traction 6" Long Arm Lift. Its pretty amazing I can get a few pictures to you if you want. Eventually you will need to decide drop brackets or long arms if you plan on going any higher. Im pretty sure everyone would agree that long arms are better than using drop brackets its just the $ thats the issue.

Thanks D.J

if you dont adress the angle of the control arms, when you compress and droop the front axle, the steeper the angle of the arms, the larger the change in caster. now, when this happens, it binds the steering linkage and screws up the mounting bracket for the trac bar on the axle side. you can run a steep angle but it will bend a lot of metal if you flex it out alot

I am only using the TJ coils because they were on there when I bought it. My brother has the RE 5.5 kit on his and it works very nice. I just wasn't sure if it would flex as good with the Rusty's upper and lower control arms.

I'm not positive about this, but I think that you're losing 1" using the TJ coils. Take out the TJ coils, put in ZJ 4.5" coils, and there is 2" more for the front. Then it shouldn't be hard to even up the rear.

Back