• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Simple Question...

JBM

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry to bother you guys with this. I figure it is a pretty simple question. I tried to use search but found nothing.
I just bought an 88 XJ and I pulled the transmission because it seems to have several leaks. On the name plate it says it is model number 30-40LE. Is this the AW4 I keep reading about?
Also the whole undercarriage of this XJ is covered in transmission fluid. I know it has been leaking for awhile. The problem is the front and rear seals look good. Is there some other place that is known for a leaking problem on these trannys?
Thanks in advance,
Jason

Are you sure its the tranny?? Those 4.0's are notorious for the underbody oil baths. Check the engine oil level and make sure it isnt the rear main leaking. Probably has oil in the air box too from a clogged crank case ventilation line off the valve cover to the air box. This makes the rear main blow more oil out and creates the blow by into the air box soaking the filter with oil.

Cory

What size engine do you have? Normally the 4.0s have the AW4 behind them. If you have a 4 cylinder or V6 they have a different automatic transmission (3 speed, I think) and the parts are not interchangeable with an AW4.

Your leaks are probably coming form the front connections to the radiator or the aux tran cooler if you have the heavy duty version. They are notorious for leaking. Both my 90 and 92 leak and the only fix I have found to be good is to replace the QD fitting with worm clamps.

Back