• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions for gaining 3" in the rear?

GusDaDog

NAXJA Forum User
hey all...some of you know the difficulties we had installing the lift on my Cherokee at some recent wrench fests.... well keep my difficult bolts and nuts in mind as you reply to this...

....we've already installed the 2.5" coil lift and the 2" lift shackles and from the kit all we have left is the 1/2" lift blocks, but after letting it all settle, the rear is currently 2.75" lower than the front.... So I think I need to add another 3" in the rear to level it out! The options that come to mind first is 3" worth of lift blocks, the other idea is maybe add-a-leaf? Can you add a leaf without removing the leaf pack? Is there another option I am missing....

....whats your suggestions?

Go find a Gay Midget bar...

if that's not your style...

Yes, you can add more leaves without removing your main leaf.

You'll either need to buy an AAL or throw in 1 or 2 stockish size ones as long as you cut them lengthwise to fit in between existing ones.

You'll need longer u bolts

Or you can have my 3" blocks which sit under an assembled leaf pack for a small donation

if you need a temporary solution the blocks are the easiest, but if you want to do it right, go with leafs.

Gus ... One option is to add a full length AAL to your rear leaf pack. These tend to make your XJ ride a bit rough and sag over time.

Blocks are fine for a couple of inches if installed correctly. And, unless you're able to control axle wrap, they can be awfully hard on your leaf pack. For three inches, I'd not recommend these for you.

IMO, adding a couple of leafs to each side from a Dakota pack would be your best option. These leafs have a bit more arch than the stock XJ leafs and can give you the lift you need. Dakota leafs do not ride as stiff and allow your rear pack to flex better than with an AAL.

HTH ... Les

GusDaDog said:
so where would I acquire Dakota leafs and what's the install like? What should i be looking at spending?
Go to your local salvage yard. You should be able to pick up two complete leaf packs for less than $100. Install is easy ... you'll need two new center pins. U-bolts can be used twice but should be replaced otherwise. Sometimes if they (u-bolts) are rusted, it's much easier to just cut them off and replace anyway. This is also a good time to clean up the leafs and repaint.

There should be some tech in this forum and articles on the web on doing this. It's really an easy job ...

Les

well I assume my butt is still dragging because I have about 2" or so sag in my leaf springs...which just doesnt sound safe to keep and use lift blocks... so I suppose I should install new leafs. But, since I have the lift I need with the shackles already I'd only need stock height leafs right? My good friend from college just opened a new Garage in Tinley Park, IL 2 weeks ago so if I can get some stock leafs, I might just have him do the install for me....

...does this sound about right?

Hmmmm... If you're going to go thru the effort or cost of taking the packs apart you may want to consider upgrading from stock

Re's 3.5" full packs are $150 each,
Their full length AAL are RE1410 Add-A-Leaf Kit XJ 2.5" for $72 a pair

Or you could find a local spring shop that can re-arch them for ya...
PM LessLimited 'bout the shop that did his leafs...

There's a place here in the city that'll do both packs for about $250...

Honestly, your best long term solution is to keep an eye on the classifieds here... You can get some good deals on a weekly basis
Awhile back BG had a nice set for sale.. PM him, might still have them
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32262&highlight=ome

...or you could scrounge around and build your own :D

GusDaDog said:
well I assume my butt is still dragging because I have about 2" or so sag in my leaf springs...which just doesnt sound safe to keep and use lift blocks... so I suppose I should install new leafs. But, since I have the lift I need with the shackles already I'd only need stock height leafs right? My good friend from college just opened a new Garage in Tinley Park, IL 2 weeks ago so if I can get some stock leafs, I might just have him do the install for me....

...does this sound about right?

Did you just install the 1/2" block you had? Too bad you did not have some extra leafs to throw in while you were there. Whatever you do now, you should probably replace your u-bolts and center pin (if you haven't already).

Les

I had an AAL from RE and they were really nice. Never sagged. Unfortunately I forgot to remove them when I went to my Big Offroad springs and I pitched them with the spring packs @#!^@$$. You can definitely install them without removing the main leaf of your present pack. You will need longer U-bolts as mentioned and a longer center pin. YJ packs work good for doner leafs too. They have more arch than XJ packs and you can likely find them for nearly free at any local 4x shop.

To me though it sounds like your old springs at clapped out and a whole new pack should be installed if possible.

B-loose

Back