• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I never thought about this

DaltonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I never thought about this being my problem. until it started puffing out black smoke. :(

freebie from the junkyard $4.99 new so I got both better to have a spare.

SR123.jpg

Some of us do not know what your Jeeps problem is. What was it doing? What is this relay?

Starter relay, not really moisture resistant, have opened up a few and it´s amazing, with all the rust and gunk inside, they manage to function at all sometimes.

So what possible malfunctions could this relay have? Other than not sending power to the starter then the ignition is turned on.

Cory

It bypasses the fuel pump relay and the ballast resistor during start-up, so the fuel pump has a little extra voltage. It is actually the only power to the pump during start-up, then switches over to another circuit for run. I´d have to double check the circuit diagram (for the XJ), but on many Jeeps, it also sends a start signal to the ECU. And through the neutral safety switch to ground.

Last edited:
So this would cause intermittent starting problems?

Just curious, I havent had a real starting problem since I installed Bosch fuel injectors and re did the wiring from the battery to the starter, the battery to the dipstick ground and the two little 4 wire ground connections there also.

Havent replaced the head to firewall strap or put a new ground to from the block to the chassis. Oh, i did the battery to body wire also. Soldered all connections. Used welding lead for the heavier wires and 8 guage for the relay to battery and battery to body.

I still have a cut out at around 55 mph where the engine cuts out for a split second and back to power again, sometimes it does it like 7 or 8 times in a row when accelerating. its not electrical i dont think, cause my lights and stereo and stuff dont cut out. need to check the fuel pump wiring i guess, but seems odd that it only does it at a certain speed. Used to do it at bumps too, but not since i re did the wiring.

Sorry to hijack the thread, i ramble sometimes and it might be related.

Cory

DaltonXJ said:
I never thought about this being my problem. until it started puffing out black smoke. :(

freebie from the junkyard $4.99 new so I got both better to have a spare.

You should also make sure it wasn't a fusible link that connects to it that smoked.

got it from Autozone... they make 4 different ones... one with 3 prongs 1 with 4 prongs( Interchanges with the XJ ) 5 prong also fits XJ and 6 prong can be used but gets hot real quick... not all Autozones carry them..

Just for future reference you ALWAYS mount a relay with the pins facing downwards. Face them upwards and you collect condensation in the can, resulting in them shorting out. They are supposed to get hot enough to cook off any moisture thats inside them but that does not always work.

DaltonXJ said:
or put it inside a waterproof box like I did :)

and what would that be because your water proof box could actually be causing a problem .if fresh air can't get to the relay it will condesate just the same.i have seen people put their cars computers in a tuperware container to keep them dry only to hurt them by causing what they were trying to keep out. from the heating and cooling of the air in the container it will condence with out fresh air.now say you open the container after a days run to let it cool with fresh air all is good

RichP said:
Just for future reference you ALWAYS mount a relay with the pins facing downwards. Face them upwards and you collect condensation in the can, resulting in them shorting out. They are supposed to get hot enough to cook off any moisture thats inside them but that does not always work.

84-90 models mounted it on the side with the pins inward and a cover is supposed to be over it.

Back