• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrade 9" drums to 10"?????

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I just saw on a thread started by Nick that some Chrysler 8.25" rears had 10" drums. What would it take to upgrade my 9" drums to 10" drums?

Thanks.

Geoff

Pretty much everything from backing plate to drum. I'm not even sure if the wheel cylinders are common.

Which 8.25 came with 10" drums? Wouldn't just be easier to get the rear disk brakes from a ZJ? They are almost a complete bolt-on, I believe. You just need to open the hole of the backing plate.

But I thought the rear disc swap from a ZJ was only done on a D35, not a 8.25. ZJ's had discs and D35's, so thought that was why that swap could be done. If I can swap ZJ discs to a 8.25.... Well, that sounds pretty freakin' good to me.

Geoff

Sparkman said:
ZJ discs can go on an XJ with an 8.25" with only slight modification.
Plus I am not aware that any XJs came with 10" drums on the 8.25 axle. Cgrysler changed from 10" to 9" rear brakes in 90 or 91, which was before they were using the 8.25 axle in the XJ

Eagle said:
Plus I am not aware that any XJs came with 10" drums on the 8.25 axle. Cgrysler changed from 10" to 9" rear brakes in 90 or 91, which was before they were using the 8.25 axle in the XJ

Parts places always list the two options, even for later ones. I wonder if that's just an oversight, or is there some mystery 10 inch version we're unaware of?

Sparkman said:
ZJ discs can go on an XJ with an 8.25" with only slight modification.
Which ZJ discs? I'm asking because I can get the discs off a ZJ aluminum Dana 44 for cheap. Would these work on a 8.25?

I would just go with disc brakes. The KJ 8.25 discs should be a direct swap if you found some. The 9" drum brakes started in 90 like Eagle said. The older ones aren't any better. The 10" have narrower shoes vs the 9".

Last edited:
Our family has a 98 XJ that was a government park ranger vehicle. It had a police package. I am not sure exactly what that includes. We have the 10" x 1.75" rear drum brakes. We also have two 1997 XJ's they both have 9" x 2.5" rears. The best I can determine is that the 10" is for heavy duty applications.

Back