• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alot of money involved...

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I had a guy that I know thats a mechanic come help me work on my lift and he looked at what I had to do with the CV driveshaft and SYE and said I was in for ALOT of work. He said I should call around and maybe see if someone can just get me an extended yoke for my stock one because it wont be cheap to do the install since Im not sure If i can. Would I be able to use the stock driveshaft with an extended yoke or do i HAVE to have the CV ds? Its a 98 cherokee. AA SYE and Tom woods custom ds. Also, If anyone had a write up with pics on the install of the new items that would be great.

J98cherokee said:
I had a guy that I know thats a mechanic come help me work on my lift and he looked at what I had to do with the CV driveshaft and SYE and said I was in for ALOT of work. He said I should call around and maybe see if someone can just get me an extended yoke for my stock one because it wont be cheap to do the install since Im not sure If i can. Would I be able to use the stock driveshaft with an extended yoke or do i HAVE to have the CV ds? Its a 98 cherokee. AA SYE and Tom woods custom ds. Also, If anyone had a write up with pics on the install of the new items that would be great.

Its not a lot of work. With a good set of snap ring plyers and some sockets you should be able to do it in a few hours. Its really not very hard.

If you have good snap ring pliers and simple mechanical skills, and can read directions, you won't have a problem. That is a simple t-case to work on. Most everyone does their own, and for many it was the first time they did anything like that.

I've done two - one with the t-case entirely removed, and one still in the vehicle for a friend. The first I did with no instructions, the second I read the directions to see if I had done the first one right :) (by that time I had a few thousand miles on it so I figured it was okay...). All that to say that it isn't that difficult as has been mentioned before. Just keep track of the order of things and you'll be fine.

If you're in NC and close to me then i would be more than happy to give you a hand doing it. I did my SYE on my 242 and have torn it apart about 3 times since. Just email or PM me

Goatman said:
If you have good snap ring pliers and simple mechanical skills, and can read directions, you won't have a problem. That is a simple t-case to work on. Most everyone does their own, and for many it was the first time they did anything like that.

:wave: yup. i was one of 'em. took it apart in my aprtment parking lot. just did all the research i could before hand and had all the tools everyone reccommended.

i got mine from jb conversions i think but his website has a lot of big color pictures of doing the install. if you have a good set of snap ring pliers and a few large sockets for removing the output yokes your in good shape. recommend getting an air gun and large pipe wrench for holding the yokes. also, there is a 10mm 12 point bolt on the top of the t-case. also, use orange/red sealant and not black, mine leaked until i resealed it with the red stuff. hardest part is making sure the oil pump is installed correctly.

Back