• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hubs

Cupcake

NAXJA Member #1377
i am in the process of looking for new front hubs on my 91 xj 4wd sport...i have gone to local repair shops but they want $500 bucks just to do one side and i know it isnt that much work...what i am askin is if anyone knows of companies that make front hubs? i have heard of Timken but does anyone know anything about them? any help would be great

The Timkins seem to be ok, I am running them in my DD. just replaced the old ones about two weeks ago. IIRC paid about 140 per. if your shop is charging 500, that pretty good money for less than an hours work(assuming everything comes off somewhat easily). But I suppose the shop manual says it should take 2 1/2 hours to do the job.

Timken are a reputable brand.

I would recommend doing it yourself. Alot cheaper than $500. Hubs run about $120-140. Someone on another thread said he paid $70 (or something like that). Shop around.

Like any auto repair once you get over the intimidation factor and mystique it's rewarding at the end, money-wise and spirit-wise. Just do your research, have proper tools and hardware on hand, prepare for the worst, and stay calm.

Have a look at technical article "Front Axle Seals and Upgrading to 297-X U-Joints" at this website for an idea of what's involved:
http://www.madxj.com/

Geepfreak said:
The Timkins seem to be ok, I am running them in my DD. just replaced the old ones about two weeks ago. IIRC paid about 140 per. if your shop is charging 500, that pretty good money for less than an hours work(assuming everything comes off somewhat easily). But I suppose the shop manual says it should take 2 1/2 hours to do the job.
The shop manual doesn't say how long it should take, it only explains how to do it. If they haven't been taken apart recently or the last guy who worked on it dodn't use anti-sieze, getting the old hubs off is a royal PITA and that's why a shop is quoting a high price. They apparently know what to expect.

Back