• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do I do with my Inner Fenders after trimming?

Centrevillemx

NAXJA Forum User
I trimmed my front fenders to clear 31's and now my inner fender hangs about 1" below the edge of the body where I cut. I need to have inners for inspection so WHat have yall done to pull that up in there? The flares I am putting on will show that inner hanging down so It needs to be tucked up under there.

Why do you need them for inspection? Not all vehicles have inner liners. If so, you probably trimmed too much.

Heres the problem:

705728_5_full.jpg

If I try to pull it up under there, it cracks, so I dont wanna break that.

Take 'em out. You don't need them and you'll never miss them. IF you get busted in an inspection (doubtfull) then worry about how to put them in.

i love how you guys tell someone so much to take them out. i personally wouldnt take them out. you can bend them back and use sheet metal screws to attach them to the fender, behind the fender flair. what happens when they are removed is lots of dirt get into the door jam. this can cause rust on the door hinges. i think the 10 minutes it takes to adapt them to fit is worth the rust prevention and all the crap that comes in.

redyouch said:
i love how you guys tell someone so much to take them out. i personally wouldnt take them out. you can bend them back and use sheet metal screws to attach them to the fender, behind the fender flair. what happens when they are removed is lots of dirt get into the door jam. this can cause rust on the door hinges. i think the 10 minutes it takes to adapt them to fit is worth the rust prevention and all the crap that comes in.

You can take a "noodle" that kids play with in the pool and cut it up and slip it in there to prevent water from getting to the door hinges if you are worried about that.

I've never had any on my heep...
As far as waterproofing... Expanding foam, then rattle can, or rustroof undercoating.

For all the guys saying just trash it, it also exposes the back of your front blinkers to the water, mud and salt.

I'm spending the winter without a set right now and I'm sure I'm going to regret it in the spring.

I've heard of a guy using a heat gun to stretch and flex them into shape so I'm going to try that.

trash them. if you try screwing them in, they are going to break. But more important, why would you hack your fenders and put larger tires on before getting it inspected? I would be more concerned with the Inspector not liking the "custom" fenders than the lack of inner fenders. MD inspectors can be a bit picky with sheetmetal...

Sup Dudes

I called my guy and he said Id have to have them. This is THE guy to go to when getting inspections. I used to go riding with him so hes gonna cut me some slack on a lot of things, including the fender cuts. I did get them back up under there with some sheet metal brackets and pop riveted them in place:

705728_7_full.jpg

And I decided to use the stock flares.

Spanky414 said:
For all the guys saying just trash it, it also exposes the back of your front blinkers to the water, mud and salt.

I'm spending the winter without a set right now and I'm sure I'm going to regret it in the spring.

I've heard of a guy using a heat gun to stretch and flex them into shape so I'm going to try that.

My rig has spent 8 salty/snowy Chicago winters since I've had it...
Blinkers have NOT been a problem...
If ya have to do it to be legal, that's fine.
I also run the stock flares

DSCF0007.jpg

I am glad you are reusing the stock fender flares. What did you use to cut those fenders with? A chainsaw? LOVE IT!

i tried to do what everyone was saying and bend the stock inner fender up and screw it on but it just wouldn't go so i ripped them out and put pool noodles in. They work great and no dirt gets to the hinges. They stuff in nicely in the rear but the front i had to tie up because it would pop out on the highway and look like i giant pink penis coming out of the side of my truck
Yea i got the pink noodles

When I trimed my fenders I had a similar problem. When you try to bend the inner liner they were brittle and broke. I pulled mine. I saved the little black push pins. I then went to a junk yard and for $25 I bought some that weren't brittle and reinstalled them. Just my 2 cents!

In an afternote:

I will never again trim a fender before I make sure that it it needed. I will use a grinder with a cutting wheel instead of a sawzall with a bimetal blade. My flares do not have that liner with all the holes on the inside the way it was mounted before. How are yall mounting them then?

Back