• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should I buy a 88 for parts

tompatjr

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 91 to build and wheel. I already got the parts. But I didn't do my home work. I went ahead and got a Detroit for the D35. Anyway now I am a little wiser and know the D35 won't hold up well to my future plans. I have found a 88 XJ complete factory skids, tow hooks, auto, 4.0l and new head. However it does not run. It has a Disco D30 and I assume a non c-clip D35. I know it's not much of a improvement but the non C-clip would make feel a little better, at least I could get out of the way. Is the Detroit for a C-clip the same for a non C-clip? What is the common opinion on the Disco front D30? For 500.00 they will even deliver it to me. I'm sure I could probably get them down another 25-50 beans. I want to get the tow hooks, skids, and rear. Then possible try and sell as is for what I could get.

I've been told from several people that the Detroit will work in c-clip AND non c-clip rears. I haven't had the opportunity to do....or see this being done for an actual fact though. But the guys who told me this are pretty good w/xj's. I'm more accustomed to building Chevy's...and I've owned a few XJ's in the past...and have done this and that to them....but I'm just now beginning to dig deeper into the in's and out's of them.
Aron

I've also heard the locker will work with non-clip. The only thing you have to worry about, from what I'm told, is abs vs. non abs but neither of your vehicles have it so go for it.

The Detroit is the same for C-clip or non-c, the ABS is the difference. Second it won't work with a factory trash-loc carrier.

tompatjr said:
What is the common opinion on the Disco front D30? For 500.00 they will even deliver it to me.

I like my disco just get a posi lok to go with it. Lets ya do the 2wd low thing making it nice when i got the big old 16' trailer in the back. and for 500 if you have the space go for it you'll spend more at a junk yard for various parts. atleast you'll have a spare set of axle shafts after that detroit does it's thing on that d35. I paid 175 at a junk yard for just my spare shafts.

Last edited:
Back