• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cold air intake...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Tossed the airbox long ago, added second battery and K&N cone filter and MSD wires, platinum 4 plugs and am happy till I get my 4'10s installed to match the 31's.

Is it worth it to enclose the filter and cut a hole through the side of the fender to pull in outside air? Coincidentally, there's a relatively minor crease in the fender made by a telephone pole that can nicely elimated by the mod.

Soon my '98 will live in fl., and LeBaron hood vents are lookin' real good, too.

Maybe a cat back is the farthest I'll ever go in terms of performance mods.

TIA,

Mike #300

heat shield - yes good idea
i made my own FIPK and it is great on the interstate, however i wish i had a heat sheild for crawling... i noice a difference

check out Dr.Dino's webpage - he has a great write up on a FIPK and heat sheild combo

XJ_ranger said:
heat shield - yes good idea
check out Dr.Dino's webpage - he has a great write up on a FIPK and heat sheild combo

:cheers:

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.8secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

I saw this set-up that actually cocooned the filter in what looked like a mini-keg and necked it down to a three inch flex tube that picked up outside air through the fender, If I remember correctly, or maybe under the fender well.

Space is pretty tight with the second optima and the largest cone k&n I could squeeze in there. How about If I fabricated something to totally encase the filter, and how much space do you think would be necessary between the outside surface of the filter, 1/4", 1/2", 1" and the inside of the container?

I should find the link and show you what I mean.

Thanks,

Mike #300

Last edited:
mikeny59 said:
I saw this set-up that actually cocooned the filter in what looked like a mini-keg and necked it down to a three inch flex tube that picked up outside air through the fender, If I remember correctly, or maybe under the fender well.

Space is pretty tight with the second optima and the largest cone k&n I could squeeze in there. How about If I fabricated something to totally encase the filter, and how much space do you think would be necessary between the outside surface of the filter, 1/4", 1/2", 1" and the inside of the container?

I should find the link and show you what I mean.

Thanks,

Mike #300

The "mini-keg" that you saw is likely an intense performance canister.(www.intenseperformance.com) I have it an really like it with my snorkel. The heat barrier on the bottom of the intake manifold in conjunction with the canister and all works very well. I don't know what it does on it's own since I installed the headers, muffler, hi-flow cat, 2.5" piping, snorkel, canister, and throttle body all in the same weekend. --Chad--

Ceramic_can.GIF
works great

I like how you isolated the filter, nice fab job.

I'll post some pix of my dilemma a little later today.

Thanks,

Mike #300

Back