• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack lighting

I tried running my CB antenna wire there, but it looked like it woud make a big mess if I made a mistake. Instead... there is a big unused rubber grommet next to the drivers side tail light. You can pop it out, run your wires there, and pull them to wherever. The grommet hole comes out behind the rear plastic interior panel. You don't have to remove but a few screws to give yourself enough room to reach behind it. I used a dab of silicone over the hole I put in the gromet to make sure I had no leaks.

I hope that helps. At least it should if you are trying to get your wire from outside the cab to inside.

I ran my roof rack lighting through the driverside firewall, under the kick panel up behind the seatbelt cover ( B-pillar) and neatly under the headliner and out through a small hole sealed with a rubbergromet and some two part epoxy through the roof to the rack. I might be able to email some pics if ya like, or your welcome to drive over to kernersville, NC and look for yourself. -steve

I ran my wires up through the D pillar over the headliner to an electrical box screwed to the roof (sealed with silicone) with a modified trailer wiring jack installed. I plug the lights into that and if I ever need to pull the rack it's easy to disconnect.

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2595.jpg

All the wiring up top is covered with split loom and zip tied into 1 single harness (4 lights in front, 2 in back) this is the work in progress

IMG_2730.jpg

Iminocca said:
I ran my wires up through the D pillar over the headliner to an electrical box screwed to the roof (sealed with silicone) with a modified trailer wiring jack installed. I plug the lights into that and if I ever need to pull the rack it's easy to disconnect.

All the wiring up top is covered with split loom and zip tied into 1 single harness (4 lights in front, 2 in back) this is the work in progress

Cool idea. Thanks for sharing that.

r@m

They're Pro Comp 130's mounted upside down. I modified the bezels so I could rotate the lenses 180* and mount them that way. They work really nicely!

Hey Iminocca, is that a Conferr rack? If so did you put that extra piece of metal on the front,and the hoops on the back?

Yeah, it's a Conferr...I added the light mount in the front, high lift mount on the side, and light tabs in the rear along with 3/4" square tubing for a floor and had it powder coated too. I got the rack and gutter mounts for $14.00!!!

lights.jpg

Did it come powdercoated, or painted. I like the way you did the light mounts. They are running a special where you can get a floor, and one set of light mounts for an extra $24. I was thinking of just bolting a pice of 1x2 tubing to the tabs to give me more light mounting possabibltys. Oh by the way I like the way you did your electrical wiring, with the trailer plug.

Conferr racks come painted, but it's just one thin coat that doesn't hold up very well and this rack was rusted when I got it. I did all the welding (light and jack mounts and floor) then had it sandblasted and powder coated. Since I got the rack so cheap, I didn't mind spending the $ on powder coating.

If you don't have a welder or plan on repainting (or powder coating) $24 is a great price for the floor and light brackets. That's less than I paid for the steel. On the other side is a shovel bracket I made for $12, much better than $29 - ??? for a factory made bracket. I'll send a picture if you're interested.

Patrick

Back