• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body Part Question

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Well I may as well get all my questions out there since Im online here. I have some major rust at the lower corners of my windshield area. Two big holes there. Looked like most of the water is running into the engine compartment but just last week we had buckets of rain and I got water into floorboards on driver and pass. sides. Assuming its coming from the holes of course. Thinking of cutting out rust and welding in new pieces but its looks kinda tricky with the curves and windsheild and all, Im a novice welder. I see online a CAPA (?) front fender for about $150. Can I just buy something like this and bolt it on? Or is that a weld-on part. Any help on this is greatly appreciated- this forum is the best. I am desperately trying to save my beloved 91 sport for a few more Tahoe winters and summers. Thanks- TJ

is it the FENDER or the COWL that is rusted thru?? the fender does not cover any access to the inner body, its just mounted on the outside of the body.. the windshield frame is a common spot for rust.. it gets down in the channel and eats away... it can be fixed but it would require removal of the glass to get it right..

What is the definition of the "cowl" ? Most of the rust is on that little square by the corner of the windshield. Sorry im sort of a rookie here but learning. If the repair required removing the windshield and welding around there I will probably find a body shop to do it as I dont know if I trust my welding skills enough to get it back together good enough to get a good seal for the glass. Im a little lost as to what to do. And the water inside is doing what water does- condensing into all the liners/seats/mats, rusting my floor im sure, and if its sunny next day after rain it basically "rains" inside my jeep untiol I get to it to crack the windows. Aarggh...-TJ

If you could post a few pics of the rust we could probably give you better advice , get some used fenders or new after market fenders ,about 30 to 40 bucks each

Back