• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aaaaaahhh!!!! my bumper moves!?!

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
A friend alerted me that when I went to make a turn, either way, my bumper moves in the direction I am turning, in relation to the grille.
What's the deal?
I've noticed a slight knock when accelerating and turning, but it was there when I got it.
HELP!

I´d check the top trac bar ball and the mount. Think it´s an optical illusion that the bumpers moving, think the body is shifting in relation to the front differential. But heck anything is possible, check your frame out for breaks, rot and cracks. Grab the bumper and give it a good tug and see what happens.

Last edited:
Sounds like track bar problems at one end or the other. It's common for the track bar frame bracket to get loose and make a knock sound when turning and it makes it look like the bumper is moving side to side, really the whole front of the jeep is. the only other thing that could make the bumper move like you said is a cracked frame, the cracks would probably be near the steering box on the inside of the frame, that can also make a knock sound when steering ,I know I've had it happen. You should get that checked out SOON.

Sorry 8mud, you hadn't posted when I started typing ,I need typing lessons lol
But it looks like we agree!

Last edited:
Just looked at the truck, and there are two cracks that have been welded up (crappy) and one of the steering box mounts has been beefed up because it looks like it pulled through.
Will try to get pics soon.

OK, here they are:
764841_1_full.jpg

764841_2_full.jpg

764841_3_full.jpg

764841_4_full.jpg

and there's the problem...

Back