• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wet '91 won't start-no spark

MaxMan

NAXJA Forum User
I managed to put my '91 XJ in some water a couple days ago. The motor was about halfway in. The engine did suck in some water through the open cone K@N but I have drained the crankcase and filled with fresh oil and it still turns over. I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor but it doesn't seem like I am getting any spark. I took out the coil and had it tested at the local parts store and they said it looked OK but it doesn't seem to be putting anything out--it should arc when the coil wire is placed near a ground right? Any ideas what else could be preventing me from getting this going?

I usually use an old plug and open it up to around .060, hold the plug to ground and look at the spark at the end of the plug. A glove helps prevent excitment.
I´ve had water in many connectors that messed with spark. I´ve taken the connectors apart, one at a time and have blown them out with air. WD40 is a bad idea for low voltage (sensor) connections. Make sure the bottom of the distributor hasn´t still got some water in there.
I´d probably start at the CPS sensor and do an ohm test. Forget the ohm specs. for the OBD I, you´ll have to ask someone else or look it up, I´m thinking 500 ohms, but am probably wrong.
One of the wires at the coil should have battery voltage, with the key on and/or during cranking, with the connector disconnected. If there is power to the coil and there is no spark, it´s most often a sensor problem. No power/low power to the coil and it´s often a connector, fuse or relay problem. Less often, an ignition switch or computer power problem.
Have you pulled the codes from your computer?

Last edited:
Back