• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welded up Rear

jeeppowermj

NAXJA Forum User
Have any of you guys welded up the rear spider gears in your dana 35. I was thinking about doing it if it doesn't break things. I dont care how bad it rides i just don't want broken axleshafts every week. I have a 88 MJ w/ 31x10.50.

jeeppowermj said:
I was thinking about doing it if it doesn't break things. I dont care how bad it rides i just don't want broken axleshafts every week. I have a 88 MJ w/ 31x10.50.

Then don't do it. Save you're pennies and put in a lunchbox locker.

A welded 35 is pretty likely to break axle shafts on the street, let alone wheeling. I wouldn't even save up for a lunchbox locker, just dump it and get an 8.8 or a 44, weld THAT up, and have fun wheeling not worrying when your next shaft break is gonna happen.

My friend has a yj 35 that has been welded for 7 months and he runs 37" boggers and we wheel almost every other week with out a single broken shaft, it all depends on how you drive. Weld it up and just remember it's a 35 welded.

beast said:
My friend has a yj 35 that has been welded for 7 months and he runs 37" boggers and we wheel almost every other week with out a single broken shaft, it all depends on how you drive. Weld it up and just remember it's a 35 welded.

You don't wheel as hard as you think, and not nearly as hard as someone DESERVING of the tire size.

if you are not breaking dana 35 shafts with 37 boggers, you are still on the bunny hill

simple as that

beast said:

You sure that your friend didnt say that he welded a brace on the rear to keep it from bending. With 37 boggers and a dana 35 i would think that you can bend a housing just driving it up the trailer.

PeterBuilt Member #342 .....Little help Tim....

beast said:

It's already broken, he just doesn't know it yet.

That's like saying you don't wear seat belts and you've never been hurt because you've never been in an accident. Both are an accident waiting to happen .

Like Beezil said, you're still on the bunny hill. I have a friend with a TJ with a D44 and he had to have 37's on it. So far he's had it about six months and he's broken an axle EVERY time he's been out.....but of course, he's trying to wheel. After last weekend, where he broke a D44 rear axle, then broke a 760x front joint trying to back out, he's FINALLY broken down and ordered Superior shafts all around and CTM's.

We wheel in Boulder CO. up carnage canyon. Granted he is not bumping his jeep up stuff, nearly as hard as most people do, but he does throttle up some stuff, and if it was already broken wouldn't the wheel and shaft come out? I spent 2,300 on my rear end and we will be happy to wheel with any of you up carnage any day or time. Plus 44's are for the front get a 9" and stuff a spool and 40 spline high torque drag axles in to that and then WELD the front waggy 44 and do hydro steering. And then drive it to school every day.

Last edited:
beast said:
What you sayin just because i am in high school and your not. And my rig can go more places that yours what you got?

now that you've communicated that you are in high school, try not to act like it.

Some of the guys on here have been wheeling longer than you've been alive....

so seriously, don't type, just read.

An 88MJ d35 should be a non c-clip so if a shaft brakes your tire will not walk out as easily as a c-cliped axle.

I welded mine when it was on 32in BFGs. Daily driver/ wheeler, never broke a shaft. If you weld it right, the welds will be stronger then a lockright. Ive seen many of those explode, sheer pins, fall apart, and take out gear sets.

I dont like lockrights, so I say weld it up, you could replace your welded carrier with a Detroit a much better locker later on.

Im not gonna tell you to not get a locker cause it will brake you d35. Without a locker you cant even go wheelin. Cary spares. A d44 is not much stronger then you d35, and you dont need a 14bolt for 31in tires. Weld it and go wheelin.

Dont get the rear hopping at full throttel, that brakes stuff, even big stuff. :lecture:

beast said:
What you sayin just because i am in high school and your not. And my rig can go more places that yours what you got?

I was going to take some very easy cheap shots.. but after taking a quick look at your profile and doing some math.. I will just pass....
But I am glad to see that english class is paying off.

Hey Ashman, What is the proper way to weld it up? I've seen some people weld them so it has a little play and some weld it so its solid. The way I see it is that if it has some play in it it will "wind" up and snap axle shafts like toothpicks. Is there any good tech articles that give detailed information, or do you know of any manuals. Also what kind of welder would you recommend. MIG, TIG, or Arc?

All I am trying to say is that it is possible to weld a 35 and wheel it. My friend with 37's is pushing his limits, and hopefully will soon do a front and rear swap (30 in the front still). And by the way I started school a year late.

Back