• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's wrong with my front end

ecrogers

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I understood steering geometry fairly well but after putting a RE 3.5" superflex on last week I have some bad bump steer on the highway. The trackbar is tight so that's not it. Here is what it looks like right now, any Help?

is.php

Thanks

ecrogers said:
I thought I understood steering geometry fairly well but after putting a RE 3.5" superflex on last week I have some bad bump steer on the highway. The trackbar is tight so that's not it. Here is what it looks like right now, any Help
Thanks

My opinion, your steering linkage and track bar geometry look fine. Are you sure your experiencing bump steer? I had the same problems with my RE3.5" after I first put it on. But, I was experiencing bad wobbles (A.K.A death wobble). In my case the problem lied in the balance of the tires, but I replaced factory rims with aftermarket plus new tires, and replaced my steering stabilizer. Never had problems since. Try to explain in a little more detail on whats happening while your driving. ??

bshaw said:
My opinion, your steering linkage and track bar geometry look fine. Are you sure your experiencing bump steer? I had the same problems with my RE3.5" after I first put it on. But, I was experiencing bad wobbles (A.K.A death wobble). In my case the problem lied in the balance of the tires, but I replaced factory rims with aftermarket plus new tires, and replaced my steering stabilizer. Never had problems since. Try to explain in a little more detail on whats happening while your driving. ??

You are probably right, when I hit a large bump on the highway, when the suspension rebounds the steering jerks right slightly, wobbles, and then centers out again. I don't notice much at slower speeds. I know the tires and wheels are balanced and I'm only running 31's.

Do you think a new steering stabilizer could solve this?

Thanks,

You got an alignment after the install, right? Professianally?

Dirk Pitt said:
You got an alignment after the install, right? Professianally?

Thanks for the input...

I did get an alignment done professionally after the install. That helped with the tracking but not the wobble/bump steer. It does fell like something isn't quite solid with the front, not a rattle but more of a flex.

I am thinking steering stabilizer. Is this worth a shot or should I look at other things before I spend the money?

I forgot the most important thing, an alignment! :doh: I had one done too as soon as I got finished with my install. And yes I was still getting the wobbles too! I still had stock tires and rims, but I took my Jeep back to the same place to get tires mounted on the new rims a couple of weeks later. I asked them to check the alignment again to make sure everything looked alright. After a while they came out and got me and showed me the readings, which a good shop should do anyway if your having problems!! That's the same day I installed the new steering stabilizer, and had no more problems after that day. If I were you I'd take your XJ back to the shop you had your alignment done and have them check over it again. Ask them to see the readings, although I forget what there suppose to be? Somebody else know? Your RE directions will tell you also how the caster and toe in should be, right here: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/instructions/rubiconexpress/RE6030C.pdf Hope this helps out..........

bshaw said:
I forgot the most important thing, an alignment! :doh: I had one done too as soon as I got finished with my install. And yes I was still getting the wobbles too! I still had stock tires and rims, but I took my Jeep back to the same place to get tires mounted on the new rims a couple of weeks later. I asked them to check the alignment again to make sure everything looked alright. After a while they came out and got me and showed me the readings, which a good shop should do anyway if your having problems!! That's the same day I installed the new steering stabilizer, and had no more problems after that day. If I were you I'd take your XJ back to the shop you had your alignment done and have them check over it again. Ask them to see the readings, although I forget what there suppose to be? Somebody else know? Your RE directions will tell you also how the caster and toe in should be, right here: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/instructions/rubiconexpress/RE6030C.pdf Hope this helps out..........
They gave me the readings the first time and I looked through them pretty thoroughly although I couldn't make sense of all of it. I will try and find them tonight and compare it to RE's directions.

Thanks again

Back