• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

change to Dana 30 HP?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I found a good price on an HP Dana 30 from a '94 XJ. I think this is a bolt-in swap, but I'm concerned about driveshaft length. Is the pinion longer on the '94, or just higher on the pumpkin? Will I need a new driveshaft?
TIA!

The pinion is longer,weve got the Tj (short ) pinion.BTW nice Jeep,you got my vote.

RCP Phx said:
The pinion is longer,weve got the Tj (short ) pinion.BTW nice Jeep,you got my vote.
Thanks. it's been an "interesting" project.
I looked at a mail-order supplier, and it lists one front driveshaft for all "stock" XJs. Is this incorrect?

I dont see how they could be the same since its longer and higher!
gear1297.gif

XJCHUCK72 said:
You can try to find a MT driveshaft in a yard, they are shorter than the AT ones.
I've got a lift on mine, so I had to have a driveshaft made anyway. :(

Fergie said:
What will you do with the torsen? Will it fit the HP?

Fergie
I thought you may be interested..;)
It WILL fit the HP, but I'm leaning toward selling the current axle as is and installing a Powertrax in the front of the new one. That way, I don't have to disturb the current gear setup.
I'm still kicking it around...:looney:

Hmmm...might have to buy your axle and use mine for parts, and swap the torsen in. Thats if it wont make a weird noise when I put it in :)

Fergie

PS- check SPFW later tonight

Fergie said:
Hmmm...might have to buy your axle and use mine for parts, and swap the torsen in. Thats if it wont make a weird noise when I put it in :)

I wouldn't use mine under yours. You'd be losing your HP axle. If you really want it, I'll make you a deal. I thought a TJer would be more interested since they already have a LP axle.
Email me, and I'll let you know what I figure out.

Bill, I wouldn't even mess with what you have. Get a D44 for what it's worth. Unless you want to do two thiings, go high steering or bigger tires. The HP D30 isn't really going to make that much a difference.

I have your same dilemma, I have a D30 HP from my 93', I swapped in a TJ LP D30 because it had the 4.10 gears, and bigger u-joints. I'm planning someday to add a locker, but It's definitely not worth the time or money to swith to a HP30, spend it on a D44.

XJCHUCK72 said:
Bill, I wouldn't even mess with what you have. Get a D44 for what it's worth. Unless you want to do two thiings, go high steering or bigger tires. The HP D30 isn't really going to make that much a difference.

I have your same dilemma, I have a D30 HP from my 93', I swapped in a TJ LP D30 because it had the 4.10 gears, and bigger u-joints. I'm planning someday to add a locker, but It's definitely not worth the time or money to swith to a HP30, spend it on a D44.
Good points, Chuck.
It seems a 44 would be a LOT more work. I don't know of one that's anywhere near a bolt-in, and I'm no fabricator.:(
Is there a 44 that's even the proper length and drop?
Thanks again.

XJCHUCK72 said:
I keep hearing about the LP D44 out of Waggy's. It's the right length, but you'll have to weld on all the mounts. Fabrication can be very expensive.

What's the big motivator to coverting to the HP30?
Pinion angle, plus I hear it's 25% stronger. No?:confused:

I'm not going to deny that the HP30 is stronger than the LP, but it's the flex of the D30 with a loacker that kills the R&P.

The pinion angle is a pain, but I have the Drop brackets and adj. uppers and running 4* of caster. Steering is good and pinion looks really good and I have 6.5" lift up front.

If you have everything working, start enjoying it. Work on stuff during the off season's, unless this is the off season for AZ. :flame:

Back