• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 Comanche Pioneer 4.0L/5sp,/4x4/AC-STL, MO

Fester

NAXJA Forum User
Folks,
I am getting the evil eye from my wife again... :)

I've got one too many projects so this Comanche has to go. It is an '89 Comanche Pioneer longbed pickup. It has the somewhat rare combination of the 176hp 4.0L I6 coupled with a 5 sp. transmission. It is a 4x4 and everything mechanical works just fine. I actually drove this home from Louisville, KY last week with the intentions of sprucing it up a bit and making it my daily driver. I have since decided to sell it and buy a Dodge Dakota.

The truck is black and the paint is about 2 years old. This body is in fairly good shape for the year, but it is not perfect. There are rock chips and scratches here and there. I haven't found any cancer yet!

The truck drove straight through from Louisville to St. Louis at 65-70mph the whole way without any problems. THe tires are small (215s?) but have about 50% tread left. There is an extra set of tires on 5 Jeep alloy wheels that go with the truck, but they are practically bald.

The truck has a bedliner, toolbox, cowl-induction hood (non-functional), and a custom made rockcrawler-type bumper w/hitch and drawbar.

The interior is surprisingly good as well, with no cracks or tears in the bench seat. There is a crack in the dash and several interior defugalties that you might expect from a previous owner who was a bit ham-fisted.

The truck has a newer headliner, but there are stains on it. The windshield has a couple of cracks but not directly in the drivers field-of-view. The floorboard on the drivers' side was a little damp, but a new windshield gasket will probably take care of that if you decide to replace the windshield.

I am not completely sure of the correct mileage on the truck. The original gauge cluster with idiot lights was removed in favor of one with a full set of gauges and a tach. All gauges and tach work. The original gauge cluster comes with the truck and shows 175K. I would guess that the actual mileage on the truck is in the 185K range.

This truck is not perfect and there a several small little imperfections. For example, it has a CD player, but it works intermittenly. It has intermittent wipers, but they only work on low and high and not on the intermittent settings. It has aftermarket power windows added to it, and the passenger side works OK, but moves slowly. The drivers side works intermittenly and likes to "hang up". And I am sure there is more little things like that that will make themselves known as I learn more about it.

Truck has A/C and the previous owner says that it works great. It has been freezing ever since I brought it home so I can't verify it.

The only thing that I can find leaking on the entire truck is the clutch slave. It must be leaking because when I got home from Louisville, it was a bit low on fluid. The clutch works fine though and I have not observed any slippage. The transmission shifts fine and the vehicle runs right up to speed with no difficulty. The engine starts right up and idles smoothly. When it is cold, the idle is a bit rough, but once it warms up, everything is fine.

Anyway, the truck is a competent daily-driver as it is or would make the basis of an awesome restoration with most of the bodywork already done for you. I have attached three pictures below. I can take more if anyone needs them. Comes with some extra parts: window glass, extra chrome grill and headlight bezels, aforementioned wheels/tires, and more.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Asking $3250.

Thanks,
Chris
636-467-2320

http://webpages.charter.net/cbryant123/Comanche1.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/cbryant123/Comanche2.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/cbryant123/Comanche3.JPG

I'm definitely interested. Could I get some more pics and possibly setup a time to look at it? I could look at it Sunday possibly. I live in Stanton, MO and work downtown weekdays.

Thanks,

John Pinnell

Back