• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman arm ain't moving.

JGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing steering box. I'm using a heavy duty puller to pull the pitman arm off, but the arm is stuborn. Each time I can tell I'm stressing the theads on the puller but the arm doesn't move. What tricks might work. Does it matter if Jeep is on ground or not. I wouldn't think so. '89 205k miles power steering

If the puller is big enough to take the punishment, I´ve had pretty good luck, in tightening things to the point of bursting, then hitting the end of the threaded (puller) shaft with a BFH (I have kind of a super duty puller). And/Or wacking the side of the pitman arm, the part that the sector shaft goes through, on the side with a BFH, which may be kind of hard on the sector shaft, but sometimes you got to do, what you got to do.
I have an assortment of hammer metal wedges that I actually use for body work, but have found when all else fails, a wedge of about the right proportions and a BFH, will move things a puller sometimes won´t. A large cold chisel wedged between the box and the pitman arm, might get things moving, will probably mess up the box, but probably won´t hurt the arm any more, than a little file work won´t fix.

i just soaked the M.F.er with liquid wrench for a few days before removing it...came right off my 87 with only a few grunts of force on the pitman arm puller

Just pulled 2 today.
Put the puller on as tight as you can.
Heat the collar on the arm and tap arm with hammer.
Lots of PB blaster. It'll come off.
The more stubborn of the 2 we did today took about 15 min under the torch before it popped.

Torch to the pitman arm, tapping end of the puller bolt and torquing down the puller bolt eventually got it off. thanks for all input, it did the trick. Oh yeah, also got the biggest scare of my shade tree mechanic career, that thing shot off with a bang. Good thing I kept the nut on.

i had the same prob and actually broke a puller after i got the second puller i tightened it to breaking point and banged on it and nothing i started up the rig and jerked the wheel back and fourth and bang off it came.

Back