• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Electric Fan

gfi

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of replacing my clutch fan with an electric and I would like to know which fans others have used. I would prefer to go the junk yard route. I measured the original shroud at 10.5 by 17.5. I have searched the forum but didn't find anything.

Thanks

Ths ford taurus two speed fans works great. It takes alittle modifying of the shroud. You can pick them up at the boneyard pretty cheap. My buddy runs on on his 4.0 MJ and doesnt even use the aux. fan.

XJ667 said:
Ths ford taurus two speed fans works great. It takes alittle modifying of the shroud. You can pick them up at the boneyard pretty cheap. My buddy runs on on his 4.0 MJ and doesnt even use the aux. fan.

Thanks,

That was the fan I was thinking about I was just wondering if it was going to fit. Did he wire it to a manual switch or did he use a sensor to activate it?

IMHO, losing the clutch fan is not worth the effort.
The minimal hp gain, and ability to shut it down in water, are not worth the tradeoff in cfm's.
I know of 4 people who have reinstalled the clutch fan after removing it for electric fans.

can't we all just get along? ahha

why do you need an electric fan are u realy going thru water that deep that u want to shut down the fan or do you want the .5 HP from the mod run a wire to your aux fan and flip that on if your getting a little warm if u cant keep your motor cool with the aux and belt driven going u have other issues.

edit: damit u beat me to it

I think the fan clutch is going out and I would be intersted in the electric fan because when an electric fan dies you know it, when the clutch fan dies you search for leaks, clogged radiators, stuck thermostats, low coolant levels and then you say to yourself maybe the fan clutch is out. I would rather know instantly if my fan is working or not.

When driving around town my XJ never gets hot but I took it to 8000 ft the other day and the gage was reading about 215-220 when it normally reads 190-195 which leads me to believe the fan clutch is working but on its way out.

well there are ways to check your clutch by turning it when it's cold or hot.

i have done a very little research but i would go with the two spead ford tauris SHO fan.

just change the clutch and be done with it.

bj-666 said:
well there are ways to check your clutch by turning it when it's cold or hot.

i have done a very little research but i would go with the two spead ford tauris SHO fan.

just change the clutch and be done with it.

Yeah I checked out the hot and cold turn check method also but It doesn't spin freely hot or cold. In the end I might replace it but I love to modify things so much it is hard for me to resist. After all isn't that why we build modified 4x4s anyway, build-test-break-modify-repeat. Part of building 4x4's is seeing how well they perform after you have modified them right.

gfi said:
In the end I might replace it but I love to modify things so much it is hard for me to resist. After all isn't that why we build modified 4x4s anyway, build-test-break-modify-repeat. Part of building 4x4's is seeing how well they perform after you have modified them right.

Yup, definitely. Replace and upgrade at the same time.
I used a 14" HP electric fan that you can find on e-bay for ~$50. It's mounted to the stock fan shroud and is wired up to switch on/off automatically at the same time as the factory auxiliary electric fan. I put my dual electric fan arrangement through a severe test last summer when it was 117*F and it came through smelling of roses.
For me the 3hp and 1.4mpg gain were worth it. The engine revs up faster and you don't hear that "roar" when the clutch fan engages.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.8secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

gfi said:
Thanks,

That was the fan I was thinking about I was just wondering if it was going to fit. Did he wire it to a manual switch or did he use a sensor to activate it?

He ran a two way switch on it. He runs it on low most of the time. Which keeps the jeep running at around 200*. If hes crawlin around or climbing a long hill he will switch to high till it cools back to 200*. On high it will cool it off to the point the t-stat wil close to heat the jeep back up.

Back