• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My door fell off

Rondo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1994 Cherokee Country. Bought it a year ago with 106k miles on it. 4" lift and cat back exhaust. Great truck until yesterday. While exiting the passenger side front seat, the upper hinge on the door broke with a sudden pop! Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't think they would just break like that. It was dark last night and I haven't examined it closely yet. Any comments and tip to replace it would be appreciated!

Ive heard of them breaking off. If I remember correctly the replacement part is a weld on. I've read something on here about it before. Try a search.

Yep, they do fall off. Usually after the door limiter has failed (that rod that should limit how far the door should open). Clean the old one up with a grinder, weld a plate where the old weld pulled through the frame and weld her back on.

Sig220 said:
Yep, they do fall off. Usually after the door limiter has failed (that rod that should limit how far the door should open). Clean the old one up with a grinder, weld a plate where the old weld pulled through the frame and weld her back on.

i dont think the hinges pulled off the body.. i'd suspect that the hinge pins let go.. quite common but i have seen it more on rear doors than front...

Rondo said:
I have a 1994 Cherokee Country. Bought it a year ago with 106k miles on it. 4" lift and cat back exhaust. Great truck until yesterday. While exiting the passenger side front seat, the upper hinge on the door broke with a sudden pop! Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't think they would just break like that. It was dark last night and I haven't examined it closely yet. Any comments and tip to replace it would be appreciated!
good now you are half way done, now all you need to do is get the other door off and you will be good to go.

the whole hinge does in fact rip off. i had a 94 and it decided to do it when i was getting into after school, talk about embarrasing. just had it welded back on and it worked fine till i got rid of it

Rondo said:

you should talk to smallxj ... his door or doors have fallen off too

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have it fixed now. The door half of the hinge broke clean though right on the curve of the hinge. This was the easiest part to replace. Got a used one from the salvage yard. They said they sold a lot of these. Only took an hour to replace it.
This is a great site and I have picked up a lot of info here. I want to plan a trip to Colorado this summer and will be looking for some input on were to go. I will post again this summer as the trip comes together. Again...thanks for all the help!!!!! Rondo
"Keep-on-Jeepin'"

Back